Moldavia & Wallachia: Sadagura Coinage

Started by Zantetsuken, November 06, 2009, 07:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zantetsuken

This section will deal with coins from the PRINCIPALITY OF MOLDAVIA & WALLACHIA. Moldavia & Wallachia had become vassals of the Ottoman Empire in 15th century, however by mid 1700's, Ottoman power had greatly diminished. As a result, Russian influence started to grow, and had occupied the region in 1739, 1769-74, and 1788-1791. The Russo-Turkish war broke out in 1768 and during this period, a special coinage was introduced. Between 1771 and 1774, coins were struck from the captured Turkish cannons at the mint in SADAGURA (now a municipality in Ukraine). Because of this, these are often called 'Sadagura Coins' by numismatists. The coins came in two denominations, 1 Para/3 Dengi and 2 Para/3 Kopek with varities for both coins. In 1774, the treaty of 'Kuchak-Kainarji' was signed ending the Russo-Turkish War.  Both coins have the crowned arms bearing two shields for both Moldavia and Wallachia with the Cyrillic legend along the rim, and the date below the arms. The reverse has the respective currency written in Cyrillic legend, outlined with a braided square.

MOLDAVIA & WALLACHIA (PRINCIPALITY)~1 Para/3 Dengi 1772 <Large Crown>

MOLDAVIA & WALLACHIA (PRINCIPALITY)~2 Para/3 Kopek 1773

Zantetsuken

Quote from: Ice Torch on November 06, 2009, 02:07:22 PM
The 1773 version is particularly stunning. You're presenting coins that I've never seen before.

Somewhere in "The Living Room", some of us posted in a topic on how our interest in coins developed. It would be fascinating if you added a piece too.

Thanks again 'Ice Torch'. Sadagura coins are usually found in very poor condition with most of the detail being very weak to non-existant, especially on the shields and crown. Except for the scars left from having been mounted, the 1773 specimen is in virtually mint condition. Here is another 2 Para/3 Kopek coin dated 1772. This is slightly above average for this type, but well below the quality of the 1773 specimen. Note the porous surface and generally weak strike on the obverse. There also alot of fakes and copies showing up on the market, so you got to be careful which ones you buy.

MOLDAVIA & WALLACHIA (PRINCIPALITY)~2 Para/3 Kopek 1772

Figleaf

Quote from: Zantetsuken on November 06, 2009, 04:24:41 PM
Sadagura coins are usually found in very poor condition with most of the detail being very weak to non-existant, especially on the shields and crown. Except for the scars left from having been mounted, the 1773 specimen is in virtually mint condition.

Quite. My copies look like worn soles in comparison. These are museum quality pieces. Great fun.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Zantetsuken

Quote from: Figleaf on November 07, 2009, 08:46:39 PM
Quite. My copies look like worn soles in comparison. These are museum quality pieces. Great fun.

Peter

When you say worn soles, do mean like this:

MOLDAVIA & WALLACHIA (PRINCIPALITY)~2 Para/3 Kopek 1772

This is one I bought years ago, before I could afford better quality specimens. This looked like it got run over by a bus. Probably par for the course for these unfortunately.

Figleaf

Somewhat better, not much. I am still happy with it. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Zantetsuken

Thanks for the links Lori. The first one I'm familiar with, the second one, however, is new to me. I love detailed reference sites such as these. They make research much easier than it ever has been. By the way, welcome aboard.   :)

gxseries

Zantetsuken

Quote from: gxseries on February 03, 2011, 04:24:11 AM
Here's a couple of the tougher ones:

Interesting specimens. I think I've seen the first coin in Krause, but the second is unfamiliar to me. Is it a counter-stamped coin?

~Daniel

gxseries

The first example is a pattern 3 dengi coin, first struck in 1771.

The second one is more interesting - all Sadagura coins were supposedly recalled back to Moscow to be either melted down or overstruck. Of course it's cheaper to overstrike coins. Moscow mint was reopened in 1795 (last coin struck was in 1789) to overstrike coinage not suited back then. You would think there would be plenty of these overstruck coins but trust me, it's not THAT common. Probably less than 20 known.

Zantetsuken

Quote from: gxseries on February 04, 2011, 05:43:01 AM
The first example is a pattern 3 dengi coin, first struck in 1771.

The second one is more interesting - all Sadagura coins were supposedly recalled back to Moscow to be either melted down or overstruck. Of course it's cheaper to overstrike coins. Moscow mint was reopened in 1795 (last coin struck was in 1789) to overstrike coinage not suited back then. You would think there would be plenty of these overstruck coins but trust me, it's not THAT common. Probably less than 20 known.

Cool. Very interesting info 'gx'. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for clarifying.

~Daniel

Zantetsuken

Quote from: Lori on February 12, 2011, 07:23:14 AM
KUNKER  auction :
http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=944232&AucID=700&Lot=6711&Val=5ff043795a2fcfe3ecaed203782e6842

Hey Lori, welcom aboard. Thanks for the link. Sadagura coins are very difficult to find in higher grades, so I was happy to see a few decent pieces in the mix. More over, they had a few very rare specimens as well. Nice to get if I had the cash. ;D

Lori

Para/3Dengi 1772
10,98 grams , 28,5 mm diam, 2mm thickness