Unattributed Maratha (?) Paisa i.n.o Alamgir II, M/W T38

Started by Rangnath, January 31, 2008, 01:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

It looks a little like a Maratha Confederacy paisa or a two paisa, but too little to be satisfying.  And the weight is wrong!  A Maratha paisa should weigh around what? 8.5 to 9.5 grams?  A do-dandi paisa weighs as much as 21 grams.  This coin weighs 12.9 grams and is 19.5 mm X 18 mm. 
There is a Gwalior coin that reminds me of this also, but it weighs 15 grams. 

Sometimes, weight matters. 
richie

Rangnath

Another feature that seems unusual, is the flow of the shape from North South through the East West double line. 
richie

Oesho

The name on the obverse seems to be Alamgir. It therefore seems to be a paisa of Shah Alamgir II.
Below there are parts of the the Bad Shah Ghazi legend.
On the reverse the normal Jalus / Maimanet / Manus legend. Any particular mintmark or a mint name is absent, so attribution will be very hard, unless a die-identical piece is found, showing some more details.

Rangnath

Thanks Oesho. In fact, that is wonderful news! And
certainly with much more information than I thought I would recieve! 
Having the name of the ruler, I was able to locate this coin posted below. The information included was the following:
Large bronze dam of Alamgir II (1754-1759 AD), Moghul Empire

Persian inscriptions on both sides. Uncertain mint. 20x18mm, 14.7 grams. Krause-?

Excellent coin, very attractive, thick and heavy, much nicer than these usually are. Very rare this nice!

I find the last line quite amusing considering the vast number of Alamgir II dams that I have seen in the last 62 years!
richie

richie

Oesho

Dear Richie, It's incredable that you found a die-identical piece, but still no mint name or particular symbol. To the left of the obverse there seems to some kind of a 'star'-mark. Perhaps one day we find other coins showing ddierent parts of the die. Your research has been spectacular.

Overlord

To me, these specimens seem to compare favourably to Maheshwari/Wiggins T38. For comparison, I am reproducing the entry below:

Oesho

Dear Overlord, Well found, it seems to be exactly the same pice, but unfortunately (as no mint is shown), it still remains an unattributed coin.

Rangnath

Fantastic!  It is so much fun being able to see the whole Legend. Thanks Oesho for your confirmation. And Overlord, thanks so much for including the illustration.
richie