News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Islam Shah Suri Paisa: 952 to 955

Started by Overlord, February 03, 2008, 06:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

Hi

Can anyone identify these and translate the inscriptions on them?

Rangnath

Have I combined the image correctly on the bottom.  If so, I will remove the top image.
Wow. My bad.
richie

Rangnath

I am making progess!  The reverse of this coin is from a coin of the Suris, probably around AH 949 to 951.  Knowing the weight would help.
richie

Rangnath

If Oesho wouldn't mind confirming this, I believe the coin to be similar or the same as D1065.  Circa 952 to 955?  What do you think?
richie

Oesho

Proficiat Richie. Yesterday I noted down on a piece of paper A) D1065 * instead of heartshape symbol

Overlord

Thanks again! I have a few more 'newbie' questions:

1. Does 'D1065' refer to the catalog ID of the coin. If yes, may I ask which one?
2. What is the formula for converting 'AH' dates to 'AD' ones?
3. I'm looking for some good books on Mughal coinage. Any recommendations?

Rangnath

Thank you Oesho! (I am facing my monitor and giving a very slight bow)

Overlord, in Goron and Goenka, "The Coins fo the Indian Sultanates", under D1065, it says:
"Usual legends. Similar to previous type but lower reverse legend differently arranged.  Heart-shaped mint-mark above shah of sher shah."

In your coin, there is a star instead of a heart=shaped mint-mark. 

By usual legends, your coin probably (I can not read Arabic or Persian)  contains part of the phrase "and may (Allah) exalt his rule and dignity" on the obverse along with the name Sher Shah. 

Sher Shah was one of India's most impressive rulers.  Anyone that is able to place the interests of state above self interests has my attention.  Nice coin Overlord!

Formulas? AH date -  3% X AH date  + 622= AD date.
example:  AH1200 X 3%= 36
              1200 - 36 = 1164
              1164 + 622=  1786 AD
there are calculators on the web.   

I'm looking for good books on Moghul coinage too and I have no recommendations I'm afraid.  It seems as if the Standard World Catalog of coins might be the single best source, spread as it is over three centuries and three catalogs.   
richie

Overlord

Thanks a lot for the info, Richie.

Overlord

Oesho, could you please post the exact inscription on this one?

Oesho

Obv.: (from top to bottom) Abu'l Muzaffar Islam Shah bin Sher Shah Sultan Khallada Allah Mulkahu
(Father of the conqueror, Islam Shah son of Sher Shah Sultan, May Allah perpetuate his kingdom).
Rev.: (from top to bottom) fi 'Ahd al-Amir al-Hami al-Din al-Dayyan (in the time of the amir, the protector of the religion of the judge of good and evil)

Overlord

Quote from: Oesho on February 06, 2008, 05:21:06 PM
Obv.: (from top to bottom) Abu'l Muzaffar Islam Shah bin Sher Shah Sultan Khallada Allah Mulkahu
(Father of the conqueror, Islam Shah son of Sher Shah Sultan, May Allah perpetuate his kingdom).
Rev.: (from top to bottom) fi 'Ahd al-Amir al-Hami al-Din al-Dayyan (in the time of the amir, the protector of the religion of the judge of good and evil)

Thanks Oesho! So, this is a coin of Islam Shah Suri, son of Sher Shah.

Overlord

Quote from: Oesho on February 06, 2008, 05:21:06 PM
I don't quite understand the "Father of the conqueror" part. Who is the "conqueror" referred to here---Sher Shah (who established the dynasty)? Somehow this part doesn't gel with the rest of the inscription. ???

Rangnath

"Father of the conqueror, Islam Shah son of Sher Shah Sultan, May Allah perpetuate his kingdom"

One could also read the above as "Islam Shah, son of Sher Shah Sultan, Father of the conqueror.."

It makes sense to me. On the Rev., the notice of the endorsement by the Caliph made for good politics. 
richie

Overlord

Quote from: Rangnath on February 08, 2008, 06:41:31 PM
One could also read the above as "Islam Shah, son of Sher Shah Sultan, Father of the conqueror.."

It makes sense to me. On the Rev., the notice of the endorsement by the Caliph made for good politics. 
richie
Thanks Richie! Read like this, however, the last part seems a bit redundant, since the middle part already has "son of". Also, read this way, Islam Shah would be the "conqueror". If he just wanted to slip in the word "conqueror", why wouldn't he have written something like "Islam Shah the conquror, son of Sher Shah Sultan"?

Rangnath

Well Overlord,
I certainly don't know Persian speach patterns. 

My grandmother's first language was Yiddish. She would probably write something like "I threw my baby from the train a kiss " and not "I threw my baby a kiss from the train." ;D  And believe me, my grandmother would never have thrown a baby anywhere, though she did throw kisses often.

Theory One:
Giving two links to Sher Shah is better than one alone alone.

Theory Two:
May Allah, Father of the conqueror Sher Shah, of whom Islam Shah is his son, perpetuate his kingdom. 

Hmm. I don't like theory Two. Theologically, it sounds too Christian rather than Islamic. I'll go with theory One.
richie