News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Is this a coin?

Started by asm, August 25, 2010, 06:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

Recently on a visit to Jaipur, I went to a curios shop looking for some coins. The shopkeeper showed me this and requested me to help him to identify this 'coin'. 46g Silver. Ir seems to have some sort of a face on one side and the reverse has some sort of a Musical instrument?

What is this? He says it came from the river bed. He also showed me an excellent ring which too, he said was found from the river. It was gold with a beautiful Ruby studded on it. Still cant get it off my eyes.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Ukrainii Pyat

To me it appears to be a fouree of an Indo-Baktrian coin from ca. 200 BC.
Донецк Украина Donets'k Ukraine

Gagarin_Andrey

By that photo I think that it could also be the modern fantasy souvenir
Interests: Eastern Europe Middle Ages coins

My articles about numismatics
https://independent.academia.edu/AndreiBoikoGagarin

Salvete

More likely the latter, perhaps.  46g. is very heavy.  I have seen such heavy fourees in the Konkan area, but why not also in Rajasthan?  We have already seen on this forum that several of us have been offered copies and fakes in Jaipur, so it may well be a hot-spot for such material.

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

asm

Salvete,

It could well be a fake. Though the seller did not mention that it was for sale, he did mention that a local numismatist had offered him Rs 500,000 for it. May be he was testing me.......

Amit

Salvete

.....and did you pass the test?  Naturally you did.

Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

akona20

Smart dealer would have taken that sort of money.

Salvete

Yes he would, Akona, if it was genuinely on offer, but .....

Salvete

asm

Quote from: akona20 on November 05, 2010, 12:29:31 PM
Smart dealer would have taken that sort of money.
As he put it, he was puting the worth much higher. I only offered to help him confirm if it was indeed a coin. I told him that I did not think it was a coin........and I do not have loads of cash to burn......

Amit