Turkey 1 Lira ( animals )

Started by Rammstein, October 08, 2010, 05:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harald

are they coins? with all the beasts depicted they rather look like pseudos made for collectors.
reminds me of all the monkey coins some time ago, where the obverse of ordinary circulation coins
was replaced by the picture of a monkey. AFAIK, they were of Chinese origin.

cheers
--
Harald
http://www.liganda.ch (monetary history & numismatic linguistics)

Gerhard Schön

Quote from: Harald on October 13, 2010, 08:31:48 PM
are they coins? with all the beasts depicted they rather look like pseudos made for collectors.
reminds me of all the monkey coins some time ago, where the obverse of ordinary circulation coins
was replaced by the picture of a monkey. AFAIK, they were of Chinese origin.
Hi Harald,
the coins in this "Animals of the World" series are in fact being produced by the Turkish State Mint (see their new mintmark at the bottom of the obverse) and not in China. Mintage is 20,000 pieces each. And yes, they are made for collectors.
Greetings,
Gerhard

Figleaf

That's good and useful info Gerhard. Thanks!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malawi

Hello !
the set of 1 Lira coins with animals ( turtle , dog , cat , lion , bear ... )  dated 2009-2010-2011 , are minted to circulate  or only for collectors??

Thanks !

chrisild

Not sure, since I don't know whether any of them were/are issued at face. But judging from the very low mintages (see here for example) I don't think they are actually meant to circulate.

Christian

Bimat

This e-bay seller claims:

The most interesting of these three coins is that they have in the Turkish Mint produced only for the German market.
If you are looking for these three coins in Turkey, your efforts will be entirely in vain, because the coins has not been put into circulation.
For the Turkish market will be produced coins with the year 2010, probably

RRRRR coins.

:D

They are not intended for circulation, but definitely aren't RRRR! They are easily available in $3.5-$5 (per piece) range. (I don't have them yet)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

malawi

thanks friends :)     and good new year !

natko

They are not intended for circulation (Despite same technical characteristics to circulation piece) and selling for a bit higher price than face value. Also, mintages are few thousand only. Still, as Aditya said, they're available quite cheap when they're available.

Vivek

I have got this set except Fauna Series - Imperial Eagle. This was not seen much.
Each piece cost me ~3.5 Euro. Thanks to Bimat (Aditya) who suggested me a dealer, from whom I purchased these.
Please find some details of these coins below. These are commemorative coins.

UNC mintage is around 15000 pieces.
Year   Coin name                             Edge
2011   Fauna Series - Asian Lion                Reeded
2011   Fauna Series - Brown Bear                Reeded
2010   Fauna Series - Turkish Angora Cat   Reeded
2010   Fauna Series - Turkish Kangal Dog   Reeded
2009   Fauna Series - Elephant                Smooth
2009   Fauna Series - Sea Turtle                Smooth

Bi-Metallic: Brass center, Copper-Nickel ring   
Weight (gr)   8.3
Diameter (mm)   26.15
Thickness (mm)   1.9

Finish is excellent!
Vivek

Figleaf

Good teamwork, Vivek and Aditya!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Very strange that 2009 issues (elephant and turtle) have plain edges while other have reeded edges... I haven't seen many bimetallics with completely plain edge..India, Rwanda are other examples. Any more?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Vivek

I just checked few of my bimetallic coins...one more plain edge..
2 ZLOTE 1995 Poland coin.
Period:Third Republic (1990 - 2012)
Coins type :Circulation coins

Need to check few more...
Vivek

$$

Turkey 1 lira 2012 - Deer and leopard

(images and info from Gijs Vlothuizen)

Samir
S
  S
     S

natko

Quote from: Bimat on February 01, 2012, 02:58:23 PM
I haven't seen many bimetallics with completely plain edge..India, Rwanda are other examples. Any more?

Aditya

Croatian 25 kuna, although not round in shape have also plain edges. Never thought it's something weird or unusual. This new Sierra Leone multiangular piece has also plain edges as I could recall.