News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Stamps on coins

Started by Prosit, October 23, 2007, 01:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

I forgot to say that I like the looks of that token.  Nice clean functional design.  I wonder if it is reminiscent of paper petrol ration stamps?

I have the 2000 Austrian 20 ATS coin that has a stamp design on it.  Proably not too many coins out there with stamps on them and probably not that many more tokens with stamps on them but I don't know, just guessing.

Dale

Figleaf

The stamp on this brass medal of the Madrid Mint, the Fabrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre (FNMT) is part of the logo. FNMT produces not only coins, but also banknotes, passports, national lottery tickets and stamps.

The building is the Casa de Panaderia, an exposition hall and library. Apparently, this was the site of the 25th national  ... uhhh ... something show. Sello can mean lacquered seal, rubber stamp, closure, signet ring or tax stamp ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Guess there are some coins that commemorate the "first stamp of (issuing country)", like this one:

Christian

chrisild

Quote from: Figleaf on January 04, 2008, 02:58:35 PM
The building is the Casa de Panaderia, an exposition hall and library. Apparently, this was the site of the 25th national  ... uhhh ... something show. Sello can mean lacquered seal, rubber stamp, closure, signet ring or tax stamp ...

In this case it actually means postal stamp. That exhibition is in a huge tent in Plaza Mayor, right in front of the Casa de Panaderia. Have not been to the show since I do not collect stamps. But when you visit the coins (and notes and stamps and whatdoiknow) market in the arcades - same place, every Sunday, and highly recommended - , you may well come across signs or posters featuring that national something ... ;)

Christian

Prosit

Think this the only "stamp on a coin" coin I have.

And it is cancelled  ;D

Dale

chrisild

Did anybody say Penny Black? :)

Isle of Man, 1 Crown 1990 - "British 1-penny black postage stamp, the first adhesive postage stamp in the world, brought out in 1840 to simplify the mailing of letters"

Larger images: 1 = Isle of Man, 2 = Gibraltar (same theme, similar design)
(1) https://blackmountaincoins.agnitek.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/1990_IOM_00780a.jpg
(2) https://blackmountaincoins.agnitek.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/1990_GIB_00042.jpg

Christian

Figleaf

Thanks, Christian. But if sello means postage stamp, what's the meaning of timbre?

Dale, the black penny is not rare. My daughter got one when she was very young for something like 4 or 5 euro. Relatively expensive for a stamp, but not outrageously so. Now, if you want a gleaming new, compete copy you'd have to count with just a little bit more...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

I do have a stamp collection of US stamps.  Mostly War years and mostly numbered blocks of four, all unused and unhinged. Wonder where I got the idea a penny black was expensive, maybe I was looking at unused...anyway thanks for the info!

Dale
PS  Haven't collected stamps in about 15 years and it was never an extensive collection.

Quote from: Figleaf on January 06, 2008, 09:02:48 PM
Thanks, Christian. But if sello means postage stamp, what's the meaning of timbre?

Dale, the black penny is not rare. My daughter got one when she was very young for something like 4 or 5 euro. Relatively expensive for a stamp, but not outrageously so. Now, if you want a gleaming new, compete copy you'd have to count with just a little bit more...

Peter

a3v1

Quote from: Figleaf on January 06, 2008, 09:02:48 PM
@ Peter,
Aidan already has pointed out that timbre is a French word, meaning (among many other things) "postage stamp".
And sello is its equivalent in Spanish.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Figleaf

See my medal above, which refers to the FABRICA NACIONAL DE MONEDA Y TIMBRE, which leaves no doubt that the official word for postage stamp is timbre, so that sello may be an equivalent, but it didn't show up as such in my translating sources (which doesn't mean it's NOT an equivalent, but only that I'm curious). Since I speak French, I am well aware that timbre in French is postage stamp. In view of the equivalents I did find, sello seems to have roots in common with the English word seal, rather than stamp.

Peter

chrisild

I'm not quite sure either what the difference is. But here http://www.fnmt.es/es/html/sc_imse.asp the FNMT refers to sellos ... To make things worse, apart from timbre and sello there is also estampilla, and apparently they can all refer to those little sticky postage things. Anybody fluent in Spanish here? :)

Christian

a3v1

Quote from: chrisild on January 07, 2008, 12:15:52 AMAnybody fluent in Spanish here? :)
Perhaps I'm not fluent, but proficient enough to make an attempt to explain.
Timbre (as in FNMT) is a generic term for all kinds of stamps (including official seals, tax or fiscal stamps, premium stamps, etc.)
Sello as said before, is the Spanish equivalent of the French "timbre"; not just meaning postage stamp, but also stamp as in name stamp or date stamp, coin die, stigma, and many things more.
For the use of "sello" for postage stamp please compare the word "matasellos" meaning postmark or cancellation. The verb "matar" means: to kill, to destroy.
Finally: The word "estampilla" is a word for all small-sized stick-ons. Either in paper or in plastic.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Figleaf

Great. That clears it up. Thanks.

Peter

Pabitra

Australia will release this 50 cent coin on centenary of its first national stamp. The date of issue is May 7, 2013

Gusev

Nepal, 25 rupee, 2007.
125th Anniversary - first Nepal postal stamp issue.
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.