News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Large Paisa?

Started by Rangnath, December 05, 2007, 06:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

It is more a square coin with rounded edges than a round coin:  20 mm
It weighs 11.7 grams. 
The calligraphy is dainty and fluid, rather like Itallic. 
The coin probably wasn't hammered evenly from inception and the years haven't made it easier to decipher.  Is it possible to identify? 
richie

Oesho

A curious coin. The left image reads Falus on the top. The left image shows the Jalus formula. Therefore it is a coin with a double reverse. Perhaps the result of overstriking. I am afraid that further attribution is hardly possible.
The right image needs to be turned 45? anti-clockwise.

Rangnath

As soon as I turned the coin as you indicated, I could see my mistake.
As for "falus", I can read it as "palus", but not "falus". 
I remember that where I once lived, the word for fruit was phal or pal (I can't remember) but that fal was a perfectly good substitute.  Is it that way with "falus" and "palus"?
If you are about to go on a voyage, may it be safe and satisfying. 
If you were to photograph your trip, may you share some of those with us! (Richie thought to himself selfishly)
Richie

Oesho

Falus just means a 'copper coin'. Phal in deed is fruit, but have nothing to do with eachother.
I will soon be off, but hopefully again sound and safe back with nice impressions.

Rangnath

We will miss you Oesho.  Bon Voyage!
richie

BC Numismatics

Richie,I think the name 'Falus' is derived from the Arabic 'Falsan',which is where the word 'Fils' (the subdivision of the Iraqi & Jordanian Dinars) also comes from.

Aidan.

Oesho

Fals or falus is the general term for a copper coin since the time of the Umayyad Calphate in the 7th century. The name is derived from the late Roman and Byzantine follies. The early Arabic dynasties countermarked and also imitated the Byzantine follies, known as the Arab-Byzantine coinage. The term fals or falus became adopted throughout the whole of the Islamic world, from Northern-Africa to India and Central Asia.
On the bi-lingual coins of modern Islamic countries, the Latin name for fals is often differently written, which is due to the complicated plural forms in Arabic and the transliteration of it into Latin. As short vowels in Arabic are usually not indicated, the actual reading is therefore fls. This lead to the notation of fals (Iraq), fels and fils (Bahrain, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates, Saudi-Arabia and Yemen). Besides there are plural forms in Arabic, which are not noted in the Latin form. For 2 the plural form is filsani, for 3 to 11 it is falus and from 11 to 100 filsan and from 100 onwards it is filsin.
Among a number of, from origin not Arabic, nations the plural form has been lost so that only the singular form is used on their copper coinage. For example Tunisia, Morocco (cast falus till 1878), Iran,  Afghanistan, India and Central Asia.
With exception of Yemen, were the ryal is sub-divided into 100 fils, other countries use the dinar, sub-divided into 1000 fils.
Due to an error at the British Royal Mint, coins were struck there for Iraq in1949, with the denomination fil (thus without s).

BC Numismatics

Jan,it was actually Jordan that had the 1 Fils coin with the denomination expressed as '1 Fil' that was struck at the Royal Mint in 1949.

Aidan.

Oesho

Dear Aidan, you are perfectly right and very well that you pointed it out. My mistake. >:( Sometimes one depends to much on small notes, etc. It shows that one needs to verify it every time, but that is sometimes impossible.
Therefore it is good there are still people around, who knows better.