News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Canada Cent 1882-H

Started by Prosit, October 29, 2007, 07:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosit

Bought this as EF, might be a bit better, color has been lightened in the image a wee bit as the scan was too dark.  In hand, all in all, has a nice color and a hint of luster here and there.

Dale

bart

And a beautiful piece it is indeed. Congratulations!

Bart

Prosit

TY Bart
I am relatively new to Canadian large cents.  This is my 16th.

1859, 1882, 1893, 1894, 1897
1901, 1902, 1908, 1911, 1913-1919
Canadian small cents are complete 1920-2006 excluding 1922, 1923 and a 2005-P

Got a ways to go on the biggies though.

In other areas:  I bid on a very nice looking 1855 upright 5's US large cent
for my US type set but dropped out of the bidding at $70.  It sold for $71    ::)

Dale

Figleaf

I like those enlargements! How to make a decent portrait from an ugly dame without lying (much). I always thought the wreath on the reverse was similar to the one on Victorian Indian copper, until I actually took the time to compare the two.

Canadain coins are nice to collect (I do them by type and mint mark), but the early tokens are my favourites. After the battle of Waterloo, the large British army was partly disbanded, partly sent to sack Washington DC. Many Waterloo veterans ended up in Canada. There are ten towns and villages in Canada called Wellington and three called Waterloo (while places called Napoleon are all in the US: Ala, Ind, Ky, Mich, Miss, Mo, N. Dak and Ohio).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Dale,that is a very nice 1882H 1c. coin you have got there.The 1876H is a scarce one,as is the 1907H one.I have got the 1876H,but not the 1907H though.

The 'H' mintmark is that of the Heaton's Mint in Birmingham,England.

Aidan.

Prosit

Thanks for the information, I did not know that.  I add one of these Canadian large cents to my collection when I run across one that looks good and have a modest price...can't say I actually chase them, however the small cents 1922, 1923 and 2005-P are on my active to-get list

I really don't collect other Canadian coins although I have some of the new colored issues and a few of Kyle Mutcher's hand-made coin shop silver and base-metal tokens.  I need to send Kyle my want list I guess.

Dale

BC Numismatics

Dale,we could end up turning you into a coin addict,as Canada has issued a lot of circulating commemorative coins,especially of the 25c. denomination.The current commemorative issues are for the 2010 Winter Olympic Games,which will be held in Vancouver.There's already been a couple of mule coins issued as well.

Aidan.

translateltd

Quote from: Figleaf on October 29, 2007, 09:59:02 PM

Canadain coins are nice to collect (I do them by type and mint mark), but the early tokens are my favourites. After the battle of Waterloo, the large British army was partly disbanded, partly sent to sack Washington DC. Many Waterloo veterans ended up in Canada. There are ten towns and villages in Canada called Wellington and three called Waterloo (while places called Napoleon are all in the US: Ala, Ind, Ky, Mich, Miss, Mo, N. Dak and Ohio).

Peter

OT, I guess, but our capital city, Wellington, has numerous streets named after battles from that period - Salamanca, Rodrigo, etc., quite a nice little local "theme".  The name Wellesley crops up in a few places, too, for those in the know.

Martin
NZ

BC Numismatics

Martin,
  You have forgotten about Wellesley St. in Auckland,which had a post office that was issuing postal notes & postal orders.

Those Duke of Wellington 1/2d. tokens with the names of the battles on them are mainly from Hull,England,as opposed to Hull,Quebec.Very few varieties of these are Canadian.I don't know which varieties are the Canadian ones.

Aidan.

Figleaf

I think we tend to underestimate the importance of the battle for contemporaries. Until Verdun, there was nothing like it. Centuries of France being the bad guy for its neighbours were at an end, unfortunately, only to be followed by first Germany, then Russia being the bad guy. If Arthur Wellesly, Prince of Waterloo had lost (and until Bl?cher broke through, that could have happened), there would have been more years of bloodletting warfare. Even today, tin soldiers are often of the Napoleonic era, necessary for the model recontructions of the battle in many a British country estate and the war games based on the battle of Waterloo.

@Aidan, to find out which is which, go to this site, click on "General" (left sidebar), "articles" (left sidebar) and "Wellington in Lower Canada" (centre frame). The fourth column of the table at the end of the article will give you the information you want.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Kid Romeo

Beautiful coin Dale. I have this coin too but in much poorer grade.

Just for your information there are 5 listed varieties for Queen Victoria's portraits, C1, C1a, C2, C3, and C4.
Three of these varieties are listed for 1882H (C1, C1a, and C2).

C1 - Portrait of Queen Victoria has a pointed bust.
C1a - Portrait of Queen Victoria has a rounded bust.
C2 - Portrait has doubling of the chin and pointing of the nose.
C3 - Strong doubling of the chin coupled with strong cheek lines. Nose has a pinched look.
C4 - Chin is rounded, doubling is reduced dramatically. Cheek accents are removed, nose lines less harsh.

Kid Romeo

Quote from: Figleaf on October 29, 2007, 09:59:02 PM
I like those enlargements! How to make a decent portrait from an ugly dame without lying (much).
A Canadian friend of mine once told me that the guy who designed the C3 portrait was beheaded for treason, and the guy who designed the C4 portrait got the hint... lol.
Can anyone confirm?

translateltd

Quote from: Kid Romeo on August 18, 2009, 09:45:54 PM
A Canadian friend of mine once told me that the guy who designed the C3 portrait was beheaded for treason, and the guy who designed the C4 portrait got the hint... lol.
Can anyone confirm?

Not that late in British/colonial history he wouldn't have.  Amusing urban myth.

Victoria's effigy was quietly "aged" in the UK, too, throughout the 49/50-year use of the Young Head type.

Prosit

These days I tend to question my desires in coin collecting, maybe too much, maybe not...  One thing I do know, I like large coppers from around the world.  In many many instances, they seem a bigger challenge to collect in nice condition than the contemporanous Silver issues. 

Although my collection is not not complete, and never will be, I have found Canadian Large Cents relatively easy to collect. 
I found the US Large Cents easy to collect as well but both series are a challenge to collect in a matched condition and look.  I am not succeding very well in that aspect of it.   But I have had great fun!

Dale