UJJAYINI COPPER ? "DAMRU COIN" ? 2nd CEN B.C?

Started by Abhay, January 24, 2010, 06:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

Recently, a dealer gave me these copper coins - shaped like a damroo (a small percussion instrument - commonly used in India). The weight is 0.95 and 0.75 grams, and the size is 10X5 mm and 8X5 mm. The marking on the coins are hardly visible.

Can anyone give more information on these coins?

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Figleaf

This will probably not be helpful, I am afraid, but I can't come up with anything better.

The drums in your picture are aso used on the island of Borneo and there, they were used as "money" (generally acceptable means of exchange). Small cannons were used in the same way, made so small that they could no longer be used as weapons. I could imagine (and this is pure speculation) that small drums were also made, as "small change" or maybe tokens of goodwill for the Borneo trade.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

Wow Figlieaf. That was pretty esoteric and interesting information! 
Abhay,
when you get a chance, perhaps you could provide a larger image with more light?  On the other hand, perhaps there is nothing there to see?
richie

Abhay

Yes Richie, you are right. The coins are very old, probably Kushana period. They are corroded, and as such, there is nothing to SEE on the coins.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Overlord

Here is a possible match. The typical Ujjayini symbol is very clear on this one.

asm

Recently, Oswals or Toddywala had such a lot on their auction.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Abhay

Dear Overlord,

Thanks a lot for the information. I think my coins indeed look like Damru coin offered on Ebay, but they are very much worn out.

As far as I remember, I got them for hardly a fraction of the price being asked on Ebay.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

musham

i brought this coins some 25 years back they from hoard of Tripura as dealer told.
have a look at my blog indianbanknotes.blogspot.com
musham damodhar

musham@gmail.com

asm

Here is a similar coin with a note saying that all similar coins "have been attributed as ancient tribal coins of Kaushambi". Hope it helps.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Coinsforever

Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/