Enigmatic Copper: possibly Malwa Opium Trade coin; Dhar or Panna copy?

Started by Abhay, November 10, 2009, 05:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

Here is an unknown copper paisa coin. On the obverse, the image seems that of Hanuman and it matches that of a Rajod Mint Coin, more particularly, that of coin No. 05 Page 81 - Rajod mint - from Coins of the Scindhias (Lingen and Wiggins). However on the Reverse, there is a tree, more like a banyan tree, and the year shown is RY 6.

This coin weighs 13.45 gms and is about 18mm X 18mm.

Can anyone help me to identify this coin?

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Rangnath

My internal dialog reaction was:
"Oh !@#$!  That is one !@#$%^& cool coin!  8) 8) 8)
richie

Oesho

There is a large variety of Hanuman-type coppers. Most of them were produced in the Ratlam / Sailana area.
In the Financial Department Proceedings, January 1876 it is stated that Sailana "Has no coinage of its own, but generally stamps false copper coins of other States of less than the legal standard. Is the general resort of dealers in false copper coinage"..."Owing to the Rutlam mint having for the last few years ceased to issue false coins, the outturn of this mint has greatly increased."
This memorandum is dated 23rd March, 1870.
It is just an illustration that many copper coins from that area, will probably never be correctly be attributed. Only coins with a decent mint name, may ultimately be attributed.

Rangnath

We've encountered "false coppers" before, but not, I believe, of the Hanuman type. I think the design of the one posted is just splendid.  It is too bad that a definite attribution can not be made. Thanks so much for the information Oesho.
While I understand that they are "false", meaning I suppose that they have no state minting authority, I find it interesting that they are not copies of the coppers of legitimate state coinage.  Apparantly, counterfieting was not the intention.  Perhaps using a religious icon helped the copper gain local acceptance? Or was the Hanuman icon suggestive enough of Ratlam or Sailana (I noticed the Feudatory Barmawal used this motif) to gain acceptance?
richie

Oesho

The term "false" in the British documents, actually should be read as counterfeit,  unauthorised or illegal fabrication.
The coins were produced during much of the 19th cent. It is believed that the enormous amount of illegally struck coppers were used to facilitate the opium trade. Malwa was a centre of opium production (and still is, see: http://www.opioids.com/opium/opium-trading.html ) as many other parts of India.
The payment of the labour harvesting the poppy was done in copper of all sorts. The British tried their utmost to monopolise the opium trade. In 1793 the British East India Company established a monopoly on the opium trade. All poppy growers in India were forbidden to sell opium to competitor trading companies.
Most of the opium was exported to China and several wars were  fought with China about it. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Wars ). In line with it they also tried to suppress any legal and illegal coining by the various native states in India, as it would finance illegal production. This you don't find it written as such in the official records, were it is described as "the desirability of having a uniform coinage throughout India".
Much of the 'chunks' of copper with little or no mark or meaningless legend, were produced by various coppersmiths who's workshops turned into illegal mints. Together with the copper coins produced by the 'official' mints of the semi-independent Princely States, they formed the bulk of the base currency to facilitate the opium production during the 19th century in India.
Do you still wonder why some many coppers can't be attributed (and probably will never)?

Rangnath

OPIUM!!!!! Yes, NOW I get it!   ::)
My "problem" in understanding was two fold. First, I imagined that the need for coppers was to fill a scarcity gap in the "legitimate" market place. Second, I was visualizing what a counterfeit would look like.
With counterfeiting in the 21st century, the coin or note which is imitated must look very similar in design to the coin or note which serves as the model.  Now I understand that In the 19th century in India, to counterfeit a paisa, all one needed was the weight, shape, material and method of manufacture. The design did not require a specific model from which to imitate.  Anyway, thanks for the clarification Oesho. I enjoyed my epiphany  immensely!
richie

Figleaf

Same here, but with another question added. Were these pieces largely of a similar weight? If so, they could have doubled as opium weights. We know that opium weights in South East Asia doubled as money, in particular among the addicted. I could imagine a scenario where such weights, used as money, could have been misunderstood by colonial authorities. After all, the memorandum you are quoting is the British POV only.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oesho

For some type of coins we have written evidence that they were also used as standard for weighing opium. So, it is reported that the Bhimshahi Takka of Jodhpur (c.22.5 g.) was used as a standard for weighing opium. Curiously enough, copper coins of this weight are not observed, but most are so-called Dhabushahis (20.1-20.7 g.). Nevertheless the prolific output of cheap copper coins (legal and illegal) in various parts of India was particular due to facilitate the opium harvesting. If you imagine the large output of copper coins of a such minor State as Jhabua, it can't be explained that they were only produced for local demand. The same applies for Bhopal, Dhar, Indore, Lunavada, Sailana, etc., but also the area around Khetri and Jhansi were on a huge scale illegal coppers of kinds were produced. These illegal production is well documented from archival sources.

Rangnath

Thanks Figleaf and Oesho. 
I guess that this is a case of the Good (copper hammered coins for numismatic study) resulting from the Bad (the marketing of Opium).   >:D
Though, if memory serves me correctly, opium was also used for teething infants in the same region under discussion. But I would guess that practice did not require very much of the product.
richie

asm

Quote from: Rangnath on November 13, 2009, 12:07:16 AM
Though, if memory serves me correctly, opium was also used for teething infants in the same region under discussion. But I would guess that practice did not require very much of the product.
richie
and also to treat severe cold & cough.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Rangnath

Thanks Amit, but I have recovered from the flu.  ::)
richie

Salvete

A glance at the number of 'types' of Hanuman coin shown in Dr. Bhatt's book , some of which are very crude, tempts us to think that maybe quite a lot of them were 'false', 'unofficial', crude, lightweight coins struck at or near Sailana.  What Oesho says about the opium trade has now been accepted by nearly everybody as the explanation for the existence of millions of cheap light coppers. The 'original' coin of that type, shown by Krause to be a Panna coin, has been accepted, on Ken Wiggins' evidence, as a coin of Dhar.  Not too far from Sailana....... . The detail of the story, of course, is taking a lot of effort to clarify.  Onwards and upwards!
It's not exactly pertinent to this discussion, but it may be of some interest to some that the Barmawal Hanuman coin was copied as a crude, low-weight coin, somewhere in Malwa.  That copy was then re-copied with the addition of a four-petalled flower (Opium poppy?) added.  Evidence for what was happening (and why) is partially made up of gems like that.  Fascinating!
Salvete.
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Rangnath

Thanks Salvete.
Speaking of symbols, what do you think it is that is represented on the reverse of the coin in the original post at the top of this thread?  A mushroom?  A flower bud? 
richie

Salvete

That is a very good question, Rangnath.  Usually that is the opening gambit of someone who cannot answer the question and is playing for time, and this occasion is no exception.  Usually I would prefer to defer to a Hindu scholar with regard to symbols on obviously Hindu state coins.  I have often been surprised at what symbols on Indian coins represent (Vajra symbols, for instance) and that is when they are straightforwardly and artistically drawn symbols.  This one, because of the kind of coin it is on (probably) might well be copied and stylised from an earlier, probably Dhar) Hanuman coin.  The obvious place to look would be Bhatt's work, but most of his Hanuman coins have legends.  Those that have devices of one kind or another seem to show altars, flags, swords and geometric patterns.  Perhaps that is all that is shown on the coin under duscussion.  If so, I would suggest that it is one of those cheap copies that we keep meeting in Malwa.  Often the 'reverse' face of such coins borrows its design from a neighbouring state, but I cannot place this mark as being typical of any particular place in Malwa.  That, I fear, is as much as I can say about it.  Who is the 'Hinduism / symbolism' expert on this forum?
Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Rangnath

The resident Vedic Symolism Scholar is of course Og, though his answers may be too obscure and elevated for rational understanding. But, until Og returns to the site,
what do others think?  ASM, Overlord, Engipress?
richie