News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

ID Help - Indo-Greek? : Kushan, Vima Takto AE Unit

Started by wockyslush, May 31, 2023, 04:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wockyslush

Hello!
Was wondering if anyone could ID this coin, it looks indo-greek to me but I could not find any matches.

Weight: 6.31 g

Diameter: 21.46mm

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

Thank you so much in advance! Look forward to seeing what you guys have to say! 

THCoins

Strictly speaking, it is not Indo-Greek, but you got the general area right !
The mounted horseman design was used by several dynasties in the region like the Indo-Scythians and Indo-Parthians.

Your coin is a Kushan specimen issued under king Vima Takto, also known as "Soter Megas" based on the title used on his coins.
There are multiple specimen here on WoC to compare if you enter the name in the search.
In this older thread i showed several different varieties.

wockyslush

Woohoo! I'm glad I wasn't terribly off! Thank you for identifying this coin. After looking online many of the examples of these Vima Takto Tetradrachms weigh around 8g while this one is 2g less. Makes me a little suspicious about this coin, however that doesn't take away from how cool the reverse is.
Cheers!

jkk

If you are looking for a good Kushan coin reference, I recommend Jongeward & Cribb's color-plate compilation of Kushan, Kushano-Sassanian, and Kidarite coins. I've corresponded with Mr. Cribb and found him helpful. Not long ago, I ended up with a monster haul of Central Asian coins from the Mauryan era to modern Afghan, and J&C were an excellent help in nailing down their subject matter.

I would be using it to help you attribute these, but wiser minds than mine have already weighed in and were way ahead of my novice understanding. And I'd so wanted to give back after all the fantastic teaching and information members here have shared with me! But I'm glad you're in good hands.
Jonathan

Manzikert

I have four of these acquired over the years and they weigh 8.12-8.55 gm, so I'm afraid I'd be suspicious of one as low as 6.31 gm.

It does look old to me though, so maybe a (very interesting) contemporary counterfeit?

Alan