Jahangir. Rupee. Mint: Akbarnagar. Month: Khurdad.

Started by jkk, November 17, 2022, 04:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkk

Hello, world collectors. After many sessions poring over MWI I'm ready to admit that I can't figure this one out myself. 10.7g, 19.9m diameter. It has the general look of Mughal rupees, but something seems off. On the obverse (or what I think is the obverse) I see a zarb at lower right but can't read the mint name. On the reverse, the kha/ha/elif central swoosh should tell me something but has not quite done so.

islamic_silver_obv.jpgislamic_silver_rev.jpg 
Jonathan

parimal

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." ― Isaac Asimov
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Blog : https://parimalscoincollection.blogspot.com
Twitter : https://twitter.com/ParryPhilaNumis

saro

A small correction for the mint :not Jahangirnagar  but Akbarnagar / Ilahi month Khurdad
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

jkk

Thank you, parimal! So if I am reading saro's addition correctly, Akbarnagar is the text to upper left of the zarb. This explains why I didn't even come close in MWI: it shows no Jahangir rupees from that mint, and this coin doesn't seem to be in there at all.

This would make it an Ilahi regnal year date, correct? I think I see a 7 but not a preceding 1. If Khurdad is Gemini, I would imagine I'd be seeing a 3. I could be missing something.
Jonathan

parimal

Quote from: saro on November 17, 2022, 06:01:04 PMA small correction for the mint :not Jahangirnagar  but Akbarnagar / Ilahi month Khurdad
Thanks for correcting
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." ― Isaac Asimov
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
Blog : https://parimalscoincollection.blogspot.com
Twitter : https://twitter.com/ParryPhilaNumis

Figleaf

When it appeared, MWI was a dazzling resource, pulling together issues of Islamic coins from Asia, Europe and Africa in one tome. It is the sad fate of all numismatic books to age like humans, not like wine.

MWI is still useful, notably to structure what you would like to collect. It is no longer the latest greatest resource. Many discovery coins have been described since, some of them on this site or in WoC events. There is still nothing with the scope of MWI to succeed it, but it is no longer THE catalogue it once was.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

asm

Quote from: jkk on November 17, 2022, 06:11:07 PMThank you, parimal! So if I am reading saro's addition correctly, Akbarnagar is the text to upper left of the zarb. This explains why I didn't even come close in MWI: it shows no Jahangir rupees from that mint, and this coin doesn't seem to be in there at all.

This would make it an Ilahi regnal year date, correct? I think I see a 7 but not a preceding 1. If Khurdad is Gemini, I would imagine I'd be seeing a 3. I could be missing something.

There is no AH date or RY on the coin. The legend reads (from bottom up) Zarb ('be' as divider) Akbar Nagar Ilahi (ye or i of Ilahi as divider) Mah (to the absolute right at top) Khur / dad.

Khurdad is the 3rd month of the year but is never represented in number on the coin. It is always the AH date and regnal year (RY) or in the Ilahi system the Ilahi year....

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

asm

Ref: ZENO #86004
Numista 70161

KM 145.4

jkk

I get that Mitchiner is showing its age. I think the idea of a perfect reference is theoretical at any time, but that time is not kind to our heroes. Are there any newer print references I should look into?
Jonathan

asm

Quote from: jkk on November 20, 2022, 05:47:14 PM.......... Are there any newer print references I should look into?
There are individual books on the coins of Humayun by (I miss the authors name); Akbar, Shah Jahan & Jahangir by Andrew Liddle, Shah Alam Badadur & Jahandar Shah - both with the other claimants by Tariq Ansari and Arthur Needham.
Though recent, they too are not 100% perfect as new discoveries keep being made.

Amit