Solari - St. Louis

Started by brandm24, September 23, 2022, 11:10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

I found this beautiful oval shaped token but can't identify the business in St Louis who issued it. I presume it's a bar, restaurant, or hotel of some sort but an internet search turned up nothing. I also searched the address but nothing there either. I suppose it could even be a brothel.

In any case, the design and workmanship drew my attention to it. Very interesting and well done.

(Not listed in Numista)

(Images courtesy of Steve Hayden)

BruceSolari 1.jpgSolari 2.jpg 
Always Faithful

Figleaf

Unless I interpreted the address on the token wrong, the issuers were on 9th street at the intersection with Locust street (what's in a name?) on the North-East corner. That area is now taken by a convention centre. However, in a short distance from the Solaria is an older, nicely decorated building, the Orpheum theatre. Wiki says Orpheus is a Thracian bard, legendary musician and prophet in ancient Greek religion. I think they mean was, but that's beside the point. The point is that a theatre called Orpheum likely was a temple to serious music.

The upshot is that Solaria isn't sunny, but a somewhat awkward contraction of solo and aria, overlooking that all arias are solos :) They were aiming at the Orpheum's visitors, coming out of the theatre late at night. That, in turn, would give you a picture of the clients of the Solaria. Upper class, harbouring forms of good taste and interested in being seen in the right places, rather than being seen drunk. That explains the relatively high price of the drink as well as the vegetal decorations for the sake of the missus.

So why would a place where you might be able to order a double whiskey in a tea cup issue a discount token? My thinking is that they were given with the bill to the kind of people Peggy Lee and Shirley Bassey were thinking of when they sang "Big Spender". Client loyalty.

All circumstantial evidence, but a fun mental picture.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Well, Peter, enough circumstantial evidence will get you a "conviction" in some courts. Let's toast to you theory with a teacup of whiskey...the good stuff of course.

Bruce
Always Faithful

chrisild

Because I like the token shape and design, and because I was curious, I checked and found a story about Augustus Solari who purchased the land that would a little later be Sportsman's Park. On that page I noticed this funny bit:

"June 1874: A judge will hear the case of John Dee against saloon proprietor Augustus Solari. Dee alleged Solari assaulted him with a stick, was unprovoked. Apparently this saloon was at the ball park."

Ha, we know (ahem) that it was where the Old Post Office Plaza is today. Maybe. Or maybe not. ;D

brandm24

Quote from: chrisild on October 13, 2022, 11:15:49 PMBecause I like the token shape and design, and because I was curious, I checked and found a story about Augustus Solari who purchased the land that would a little later be Sportsman's Park. On that page I noticed this funny bit:

"June 1874: A judge will hear the case of John Dee against saloon proprietor Augustus Solari. Dee alleged Solari assaulted him with a stick, was unprovoked. Apparently this saloon was at the ball park."

Ha, we know (ahem) that it was where the Old Post Office Plaza is today. Maybe. Or maybe not. ;D

Thanks for the great story on Solari. They were the rough and tumble days of baseball for sure. But assault with a stick...a baseball bat maybe...wasn't as bad as the brawls and fistfights between opposing fans and even among teammates. :o

Bruce
Always Faithful