Tostão, prata (100 reais) - D. Filipe II, (1598-1621). Portugal

Started by Luis Cozeto, September 14, 2022, 10:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luis Cozeto

AG. 14.04
+ PHILIPPVS.D.G.
Escudo de armas reais coroado é ladeado pela letra L (ausente) e a B .

Tirant

Such a beautiful piece, with the charm of those silver coins from the XVI-XVII centuries. Straight from those years where the kingdoms of Spain and Portugal were under one single monarchy.

Figleaf

Very interesting piece. Gomes D. Filipe II 14 for sure, but which sub-type? Although I have some doubt that the last letter of the obverse legend is an E and not an L, taking it for an E is safer, as that is a known variety. In that case, the remaining candidates are AG 14.04 and AG 14.06.

The main differences I see is that on the obverse there are 3 dots below L and B on 14.04 and one dot under 14.06, but both sub-types have one dot above these letters. On the reverse, 14.04 has a dot near the pearl circle on each arm of the cross, while 14.06 has a dot on the upper arm only.

On the obverse, the L cannot be seen, but I found the remnants of three dots above it in the place you would expect them. Above the B are three dots and below the B I can see at least three dots and there may have been up to five, arranged as an x.

Take into account the picture of the reverse of your coin should be turned 90° clockwise, with IN HOC starting at the top. On the reverse, you may argue that there are dots on the left and right arms and the other two dots are worn off. However, Gomes shows the dots at the end of the arms as smaller than the pearls of the circle and closer to that circle. Also, as the pearl circle is well visible at the top arm, why would the dot inside the circle be completely invisible? I think the remains of the dots are actually just clean spots. Moreover, I have difficulty reconstructing the legend IN HOC SIGNO VINCES. IN HOC is clear, but below the left arm of the cross, I see CE(S?), leaving place for one or two characters. I think I see a V in second place but can't think of an explanation.

Lastly, there is the mystery of the rounded square at the top. That should have been five dots, arranged like a +. The best explanation I can think of is the square flower sign used on 12.01 and 17.18.

In conclusion, I think you have a variety not listed in Gomes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.