East Africa 1 shilling 1948 varieties

Started by milkshakespeare, May 14, 2013, 06:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milkshakespeare

The Guidebook and Catalogue of British Commonwealth coins by J. Remick & Co mentions that there are two varieties of the East African one shilling coin of 1948, type I and type IV. The main difference is that on type I the design features are far from the edge and on type IV they are close to the edge. I've found both of the varieties, and I'm now a bit excited since Remick's catalogue says that there's only a "limited number of specimens" of the type I coin. Does anybody know how limited is the number actually? Even a rough estimation? So far I've seen only the one type I coin which is now happily in my collection, but East African coins aren't very common in here at all so it is quite difficult to form a realistic view on this.

Prosit

That seems odd. So, if there is a Type I and a Type IV, what happened to II and III?

Dale

Afrasi

Are you sure about 1948? According to Krause there exist type I and type IV parallel only for 1944.

milkshakespeare

Quote from: Prosit on May 14, 2013, 02:15:34 PM
That seems odd. So, if there is a Type I and a Type IV, what happened to II and III?

Dale

It is rather types of the reverse dies than types of the coins themselves. Dies of type II and III were used in other dates.

Quote from: Afrasi on May 14, 2013, 03:05:52 PM
Are you sure about 1948? According to Krause there exist type I and type IV parallel only for 1944.

Yes I am, I've got two considerably differend shillings of 1948. I don't have the equipment at hand for photos or scans, but I found decent enough pictures of both of the varieties from omnicoin.com. The first one is far from ideal, but if you look at the size of the date and the position of the leaves and letters, you can easily recognize the types.

Type I

Type IV

Afrasi

Thanks! Now I see very slight differences. My piece is the upper "type" with some more space between the left leave and the rim. I will look for the other "type".

milkshakespeare

That's interesting. It is the type of which there's only a "limited number of specimens" available. I checked eBay and found only type IV coins. Funny by the way, how the differences are considerable to me and only slight to you  ;D

Afrasi

Quote from: milkshakespeare on May 15, 2013, 05:58:08 AMFunny by the way, how the differences are considerable to me and only slight to you  ;D

Perhaps I need new glasses ...  ;D

malj1

The difference would be much more dramatic viewed with the coins in hand, rather than that seen with two slightly different sized images.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

WillieBoyd2

What type is this one?

British East Africa Shilling 1948

:)
https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

malj1

Congratulations on an extremely nice one!  8) which appears to be the much more common type IV
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Prosit

They are slight to me too but siginificant enough that I would want an example of both were I to be collecting in this area.
Dale

Quote from: milkshakespeare on May 15, 2013, 05:58:08 AM
That's interesting. It is the type of which there's only a "limited number of specimens" available. I checked eBay and found only type IV coins. Funny by the way, how the differences are considerable to me and only slight to you  ;D

haaseizhere

my records show that there were 704,000 type 1 varieties and 19,000,000 type IV varieties.  I have both in my collection

haaseizhere

here is a pic of both types from my collection

milkshakespeare

Quote from: haaseizhere on May 16, 2013, 08:43:00 PM
my records show that there were 704,000 type 1 varieties and 19,000,000 type IV varieties.  I have both in my collection

Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for. May I ask you what is the source of this information?

Globetrotter

At least I have not found any differences between the 2 coins you gave us! See graphic joined.