Zimbabwe-Rhodesia 50 cent pattern of 1980

Started by <k>, May 29, 2010, 03:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Zimbabwe.png

My thanks to Gerhard Schön, author of the Weltmünzkatalog, the well known German catalogue of world coins.

He has sent me this illustration from the latest edition of his Weltmünzkatalog.

It is a proof version of a design trial of a dollar for Zimbabwe, by the South African Mint.

It is dated 1980, and the design and model were created by South African engraver Lourens de Lange.

Interestingly, the country name on the coin is shown as Zimbabwe, not Zimbabwe-Rhodesia.

Wikipedia states:

Zimbabwe Rhodesia was an unrecognised state that existed from 1 June 1979 to 12 December 1979". After that, the country briefly reverted to British rule as "Southern Rhodesia". The British then negotiated with the indigenous African parties and shortly afterwards gave the country its independence as Zimbabwe.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Afrasi

eurocoin

Below a list of all patterns of Zimbabwe-Rhodesia and Zimbabwe that I made after the recent conversations between <k>,Mr. Schön and me. It turned out that the pattern set of Zimbabwe-Rhodesia which I earlier described here was so far unknown.

Zimbabwe-Rhodesia:

Obverse: Bird sculpture engraved by Lourens de Lange divides date, with engravers initials LDL
and ZIMBABWE-RHODESIA below

Reverse:

1 cent: Laurel wreath and denomination
2 cents: Laurel wreath and denomination
5 cents: Rhodesian parrot bird and denomination
10 cents: Dessert tree and denomination
20 cents: Disa flower and denomination
50 cents: Victoria Falls and denomination
50 cents: Tiger Fish, denomination and designers initials LDL (Copper-nickel)

Zimbabwe–Rhodesia:

Obverse: Bird sculpture engraved by Lourens de Lange divides date without engravers initials LDL
but with ZIMBABWE-RHODESIA below

Reverse:

1 Dollar: Ruins and denomination

Zimbabwe:

Obverse: Bird sculpture engraved by Lourens de Lange divides date with engravers initials LDL
and ZIMBABWE below

Reverse:

1 Dollar: Ruins and denonimation without engravers initials (Copper-nickel)

Afrasi

<k>

eurocoin

The piece in the opening post of this topic is currently on auction again at Heritage Auctions Europe (back then still known as MPO Auctions) after not having sold there in 2010.

eurocoin

It sold for 1,200 euros which is much more than the last specimen that was sold back in 2013 (420 GBP).

<k>

Zimbabwe-Rhodesia 1 cent 1980-ptn#.jpg

Zimbabwe-Rhodesia, 1 cent, pattern, 1980.

Image © Coin Archives.

Dix Noonan Webb Ltd > Auction 255   

Auction date: 24 May 2022

Lot number: 462

Price realized: 650 GBP   (Approx. 814 USD / 759 EUR)   

Note: Prices do not include buyer's fees.

Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe-Rhodesia, Pattern Cent, 1980 (KM. -).

About as struck, extremely rare [slabbed NGC SP 64 RB] £300-£400.

Here once more you see the initials of South African engraver Lourens de Lange (LDL).

The obverse of the pattern shows the Zimbabwe bird.

A similar obverse appeared on the official issued coins of Zimbabwe in 1980.

The reverse of the pattern features a circle of leaves of the flame lily.

The official issued 1 cent coin of Zimbabwe features a different design of flame lily leaves.