News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Unidentified canteen token

Started by brandm24, August 05, 2022, 10:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandm24

I was wondering if anyone recognized this canteen token. I'm not sure how to read the logo...MVTB Ltd. maybe? I was never good at deciphering comingled letters.

The reverse shows what looks to be a cello and bow so there must be a musical connection. Also a very small heavily worn 6 shows in the upper right hand field of the token. This may indicate a value. The token is aluminum and 21mm.

Thoughts on this anyone?

(Images courtesy of celluloid /eBay)Canteen Coupon 1.jpgCanteen Coupon 2.jpg 

Bruce
Always Faithful

FosseWay

I've made some fruitless searches on a range of combinations of the letters (I don't know what order they should be in either). The Ltd suggests the British part of the Anglosphere, and the 6, if it's a denomination, would argue for somewhere with £sd rather than dollars. 6 (pies) is also a sensible denomination in pre-1957 India. I mention this because the only numismatically relevant images I did find while searching, though far from being matches to your token, were for Indian canteen tokens from the British rule period.

brandm24

It was listed as MVBT but that doesn't look right to me. I also searched different combinations but came up with nothing except a possible but vague reference to Australia. You sure came up with better possibilities than I did and I thank you for that.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

The musical instrument on the reverse suggests that the M stands for Music, while the absence of a C (for company, but also colliery and choir) points in the direction of a non-profit. An S (society, but also social) is also conspicuously missing. I would suggest that the T is the initial of the locality. The problem is the V. Coming right ahead of the Ltd, V should stand for the legal format, but I can't think of a suitable one (in German, it could well have been Verein). That leaves only the B. Band? Benevolent?

There's also the question of why a musical club needs to be Ltd. Perhaps it owned the instruments and protected its members from claims on the club by giving them limited liability?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

I've always had a problem with the Ltd too. How about a musical instrument manufacturer?

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

A commercial solution is less likely, because the monogram doesn't have a C or an S.

Ltd. could be used for non-profits. Co-ops (looking at those now) so often go from "Cooperative Society" to "Coperative Society Ltd." that their most recent cataloguer, Rains, indicates them with CS and CSL.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.