Maltese choice for Royal Dutch Mint leads to trouble

Started by eurocoin, July 23, 2022, 01:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

Last year, following a tender procedure, the Maltese government awarded the contract for the production of the Maltese coins of 2022 and 2023 to the Royal Dutch Mint. The Maltese government also has an option to extend the contract for the period 2024-2027. In recent years, the Maltese coins used to be produced by Monnaie de Paris.

The choice for Royal Dutch Mint has led to problems. The release of the annual set and the 2 euro commemorative coin Hal Saflini Hypogeum that were sheduled for May had to be postponed until September. This due to production issues at the mint, and the fact that the Maltese government was unsatisfied with the trial strikes. Because of the delay with these products, other issues that were planned for later in the year also had to be postponed.

Update 30/07: According to Malta Coin Centre the problems are related to substantial packaging (samples were rejected) and transportation issues, and not related to the coins themselves.

redlock

Quote from: eurocoin on July 23, 2022, 01:51:17 PMThe choice for Royal Dutch Mint has led to problems. The release of the annual set and the 2 euro commemorative coin Hal Saflini Hypogeum that were sheduled for May had to be postponed until September. This due to production issues at the mint, and the fact that the Maltese government was unsatisfied with the trial strikes.

Reminds me of the problems the RDM had producing the chilean 500 Peso coins a few years back.

eurocoin

Quote from: redlock on July 23, 2022, 07:16:33 PMReminds me of the problems the RDM had producing the chilean 500 Peso coins a few years back.

Well, I think they really too often have problems there. If it is again a quality issue, at least they already have this special custom built machine to sort the coins, that was developed for them back then.

Due to the problems, Malta was also unable to issue the common commemorative coin 'Erasmus programme' on 1 July, like the other euro member states. The release of the Maltese version has been postponed until November.

Angus

I've just had an email from the Malta Coin Centre saying all coin issues have been delayed until October, 'due to substantial packaging and transportation issues'.  So not the actual coin minting, then.

eurocoin

I only see your message now.

Hmm. They were initially far from clear about the problem then. Glad for RDM that it is not a problem involving the coins themselves though. And I see that the release has now been further delayed. Because at the time I posted my message, they certainly wrote September, and that is not October, which is now apparently the new month of issuance.

Angus

I checked today and there is still no firm issue date, but they hope it will be 'late October / early November'