Royal Dutch Mint to move into brand new mint building

Started by eurocoin, December 11, 2018, 06:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

The Royal Dutch Mint has announced that it will move into a brand new mint building that has yet to be built. After 451 years the mint will also move out of Utrecht and will now be located in Houten. The mint was located in the current building in the city center of Utrecht since 1911.

The terrain is (almost) completely surrounded by water which is handy for reasons of security. The outside of the mint will be coloured gold. It is expected the building will be ready in 1,5 to 2 years from now. Apparently the new Belgian owners have a lot of money and ambitions.

Figleaf

Too bad they didn't build something along their big warehouse near Almere. They are in fact a heavy metal industry, so cheap land should have been a plus.

I do hope the present building will be a protected monument. The last time I checked it was protected at city level only, not at state level (rijksmonument), but that was some time back.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

Well, if I remember correctly the Eurokluizen will soon also cease to exist with the coin stock being transferred to some military domain that will also house the Dutch gold and banknote stock.

On the one hand it is a shame that the mint leaves its current building as its really a very beatiful building with a lot of history to it, probably one of the nicest mint buildings in the world. On the other hand I am glad it leaves as the area where the mint is located is these days known for being rough thanks to the presence of people with a certain nationality. During my last visit I felt far from safe there.

The building of the Dutch mint is these days a Rijksmonument.

eurocoin

Yesterday, for the first time I had a look at the new building of Royal Dutch Mint in Houten. It looked quite nice. Only Dutch and Polish license plates in the car park, no Belgian ones. The tight Belgian grip on the company of the first few years after the take-over, seems to have loosened. Car park was also nearly full, so production seems to be ongoing despite the issues to obtain blanks.
Image quality had to be reduced significantly to be able to upload the photo here.

293056089_605436114229596_1440157580660860235_n-min.jpg

chrisild

Do you happen to know whether they have (or plan) something like an Open Mint Day? Could of course be a security issue, but at the previous location (Muntgebouw in Utrecht) that used to be possible ...

<k>

Quote from: eurocoin on July 12, 2022, 01:47:49 PMImage quality had to be reduced significantly to be able to upload the photo here.

You could have cropped the photo so that it did not show so much of the sky and road, which are not interesting.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

Quote from: chrisild on July 12, 2022, 05:54:59 PMDo you happen to know whether they have (or plan) something like an Open Mint Day? Could of course be a security issue, but at the previous location (Muntgebouw in Utrecht) that used to be possible ...

The last Day of the Mint was held in 2018. In 2019, the event did not take place due to the mint's move to Houten. And in 2020 and 2021 there was COVID-19. Royal Dutch Mint did not provide a reason as to why the event did not take place this year. They have recently written that they hope to hold an edition next year, for what it is worth. Hopefully the event will indeed take place again next year, for the first time in the 'new' mint building.

chrisild