New counterstamp purchases

Started by JBK, September 04, 2019, 08:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBK

Here are a few coins that came in a large lot of counterstamped coins I purchased recently.

The S. SHAW is obviously someone's personal punch. But the others are a real mystery.  (The one with the huge overstamp has remnants of a Victoria penny on the other side).

Any ideas?

Thx for any input.

Sorry...my images are too large to post. I will see what I can do about it.

Figleaf

You can post very large images. However, there is a limit on depth (or weight, if you prefer). The reason is that a computer screen can usually show a pixel depth of 300 dpi only. In other words, a picture of 300 dpi looks exactly the same on your screen as a picture of 1200 dpi your scanner can produce, but the 1200 dpi picture takes roughly four times as much place. A coin site is picture rich, pictures, not text determine how much place the site takes on the server and that determines how much you pay. In conclusion, the restriction on picture depth does not diminish the quality of the picture on your screen, but it does save an important amount of money.

So how do you diminish pixel depth? With a free or paid application or with a free web site. First of all, think of converting any .PNG file to a .JPG file. Next, there is a list of options here. You can post your questions on this board.

A further option is to post your image elsewhere on the net and link it to your post (embedding). However, if in due time you do anything that affects the link, your picture will disappear here. You can see the damage that does in some older threads. It may be a solution while you find out which other option works for you, though.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Looking forward to seeing your images, JBK. These must be the counterstamps you mentioned in your email to me.

Peter provides a lot of good information on how to resize your images. When I first started posting I also had problems with my picture sizes too. No more.

Bruce
Always Faithful

JBK

Here are some photos, 2 1/2 years later!

This is a Victoria penny with an odd counterstamp:
id=118842]20190904_143029.jpg[/attach] 

JBK

Here is a France 10 centimes with an unknown counterstamp:

JBK

Here is another Victorian penny. There is probably no way to identify the issuer but I am adding it since it was mentioned earlier.

brandm24

Quote from: JBK on June 01, 2022, 09:06:12 PMHere are some photos, 2 1/2 years later!

This is a Victoria penny with an odd counterstamp:
id=118842]20190904_143029.jpg[/attach]
Better late than never, JBK. :)

I like the counterstamp but can't for the life of me decipher it. Almost looks like a seal or badge but looks too big to be a merchant stamp.

The "star" like mark on the French coin, and others similar, may be punched using some sort pf tool. Just a random mark? Whatever it means it's likely a British issue. As you know, both France and the UK had laws prohibiting the defacement of circulating currency. Merchants cleverly sidestepped the law by stamping coins from the other country.

I've seen the S.SHAW stamp before but don't know anything about it. Sorry I can't help you with any of these.

BTW, did you ever come across your Irish counterstamps?

Bruce
Always Faithful

JBK

Thx for looking.

Have not seen my Irish c/stamps for some time but I'll keep an eye out for them.  ;)

brandm24

I meant to ask you about the French coin. At 5 and 6 o'clock it almost looks as though there's some microscopic text between the rays but it may just be part of the design. Can you see anything there?

Thanks.
Bruce
Always Faithful

JBK

I saw that too when I was cropping the photo. These are old pics. When I come across the coin again I'll scrutinize it.

brandm24

I just thought it might be something to help us identify it. Thanks.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

On the c/s in reply #4, it may be French after all. Napoléon III was most-hated person in France after he surrendered to the Prussians in the battle of Sedan. There is a long series of re-engraved and re-punched 5 and 10 centime coins with his effigy or titles being used as an outlet for that anger. I think this coin may be a modest part of that movement.

At first sight, I thought the punch was some sort of sun symbol, but the rays don't make sense and there was something vertical in the centre that doesn't belong in a sun. I now think the design is a peacock, seen from the front. The mysterious object in the centre is its head, neck and breast.

The peacock is of course a symbol of vanity and false pride. Napoléon III was crowned and often pictured in the uniform of a Général de Division (major general in english terminology), implying knowledge of warfare and responsibility. His conduct at Sedan proved the opposite, making the c/s a biting comment. Moreover, the c/s is placed on the neck, the place vulnerable to executioners.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

On the c/s in reply #3: not at all sure that it is french, but it could be.

On 6th June 1868, the second republic promulgated one of its most important laws: the law on meetings. The law abolished the requirement of prior authorization for any meeting not dealing with politics or religion. Henceforth, a simple declaration would be enough, provided that the meeting is not contrary to "public security"

The law was a logical consequence of the law on freedom of the press, adopted the month before. The two opened a new channel for pressure groups to communicate their grievances to a broad public. First among them would have been the wine growers, suffering from the consequences of phylloxera, that would eventually cause a famine among them.

My reading of the c/s would be JUIN 1868 PHYLLOXERA DE VIGNES. Weak points in this reasoning are the third letters on the first (could be an N, making it British) and second (could be a Z) line, but they could just be a fault in the die. Strong point is that my interpretation makes sense.

Peter

JBK

I really appreciate all that insight. I'll have to take some time to digest all of it.

brandm24

I like your interpretation of the mark as a possible peacock, Peter. It's a bit too fancy to be made from a tool but that was the best I could come up with.

Bruce
Always Faithful