England: Henry VIII (1509-47), AR Groat, Second coinage (1526-44), S. 2337B

Started by Overlord, February 17, 2018, 06:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overlord

England: House of Tudor, Henry VIII (1509-47), AR Groat, Second coinage (1526-44), London mint, Spink 2337E

Obverse: Crowned and draped bust of King Henry VIII facing right, legend around ҺЄnRIC' × VIII' × D' × G' × R' × ΛGL' × Z × FRΛnC' (Henry the Eighth by the Grace of God King of England and France)
Reverse: Quartered shield of arms over long cross fourchée, saltire in each fork; POSVI DЄV' × Λ DIVTO Є' mЄV' (I have made God my helper)

Figleaf

Nice to see that the face still has detail. I like the medieval aspect of the design, with traces of naturalism in the face

The second issue was still good silver. It seems that someone stuck a small dagger in your coin to test the silver content. I had heard of this "test", but hadn't seen a coin it was practiced on, so I was sceptical (like I still am on biting a gold coin; I haven't seen any gold coins with tooth marks). I suppose if you do the dagger test often enough with the same knife you get a feeling for how much resistance the metal of a good silver coin offers, but it still seems crude.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Overlord

Quote from: Figleaf on February 17, 2018, 08:52:54 AM
Nice to see that the face still has detail. I like the medieval aspect of the design, with traces of naturalism in the face

The second issue was still good silver. It seems that someone stuck a small dagger in your coin to test the silver content. I had heard of this "test", but hadn't seen a coin it was practiced on, so I was sceptical (like I still am on biting a gold coin; I haven't seen any gold coins with tooth marks). I suppose if you do the dagger test often enough with the same knife you get a feeling for how much resistance the metal of a good silver coin offers, but it still seems crude.

Peter
I like to imagine the gash was made by one of the unfortunate wives, Wolsey, Cromwell, or even Robert Aske, as they waited in the tower for their head to be chopped off...

Figleaf

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Overlord

Quote from: Figleaf on February 17, 2018, 09:34:26 AM
Scrap Aske from the list. He was hung in chains. Henry was not a nice guy.

Peter
Ah, I forgot. Its been I while since I watched The Tudors.

andyg

Quote from: Figleaf on February 17, 2018, 09:34:26 AM
Scrap Aske from the list. He was hung in chains. Henry was not a nice guy.

Peter

Scratching this coin could have been the reason he was in the chains?  ;)

Nice portrait on this one - always key I think.  So often a weak strike combined with wear = invisible portrait. I'd much sooner have a portrait with a scratch than an invisible one.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

malj1

Quote from: andyg on February 17, 2018, 10:03:16 AM
Scratching this coin could have been the reason he was in the chains?  ;)

Nice portrait on this one - always key I think.  So often a weak strike combined with wear = invisible portrait. I'd much sooner have a portrait with a scratch than an invisible one.

Scratching the face tested whether they were silver plated with copper underneath:

"The thin layer of silver on coins often wore off where the King's nose appeared, revealing the cheaper copper beneath. This prompted Henry's subject to give him the less than complimentary nickname of 'Old Coppernose'."
Source
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Tirant