News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Eagle with S plaque

Started by Henk, February 22, 2022, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

A friend showed me this plaque with the question what is it/where is it from? I could not give an answer. Hopefully someone on the forum can help

Silvered metal, 82 x 111 mm and 316 grams.

Crowned eagle "strangled" by an S, looking left. Reverse is blank, has a hole for suspension.

Figleaf

The whole thing looks 19th century, when a fake medieval style was popular. The hole is small, so it didn't hold much weight, if any and wasn't used to close or secure something. My guess would be wall or furniture decoration.

The eagle is crowned, it has a typical style of wings, often seen in Germany (in fact, the style is also used on the - uncrowned - eagle of the Federal Republic), especially in parts now in or near Poland, think of Ostpreußen, Posen and Schlesien. The overly long and bushy tail is a-typical. The S could be a royal service or (less likely) the initial of a minor member of a royal dynasty.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Henk

I think the Eagle is the Polish one, it is quite similar, especially the tail. The plaque must be of fairly recent date. It came in a quite new lloking cardboard box, with the same picture as on the plaque printed on the lid. I still have no clue with regards to the "S".

Figleaf

Poland. Good point. That brings it forward. I found the origin of the overly long and bushy tail: Upper Silesia. The arms survive in the present arms of the provinces of ŚLĄSK (Województwo śląskie) and OPOLE (Województwo opolskie) from 2001. Source. If it is as modern as that it could be anything from regulatory body to a soccer club or a set with all provincial coat of arms after 2001. Perhaps the S was added so that the arms could not be taken as those of Opole, but note that the Opole eagle is crowned and the Slask eagle isn't.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Fred

The S combined with the crowned eagle makes me think Poland under the Swedish occupation 1587-1672. This item however looks more modern.
Anything just made for collectors just isn't worth collecting.

africancoins

It would seem the this crowned eagle with "S" is the eagle of King Sigismund the Old.

Thanks Mr Paul Baker