Falkland Islands to introduce new 1 pound coin

Started by eurocoin, January 29, 2020, 08:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

The new 1 pound coin with the coat of arms on it will no longer be 1-year-type only. The coin will be produced with both the dates 2020 and 2021.

Offa

Still no news on it's release, my friend in the falklands isn't aware when it will be released
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

eurocoin

Yes, lots of delays due to COVID etc. Collectors will have to be patient.

eurocoin

<k>

Nice. I'm glad that I inspired you to look for it.  8)
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Deeman

eurocoin

Quote from: Deeman on December 27, 2021, 01:57:11 PM
Will it be issued with a 2020 date?

Coins with date 2020 will be available. 2021 is expected to be released too at some point in the future.

Tirant

Offa

All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

eurocoin

Just like The Royal Mint, Pobjoy Mint also seemed to have some issues with the production of new 1 pound coins. There are for example pieces with the same circling error (also known as the 'ring of thorns error') that could also be seen on early UK new 1 pound coins.

Col1n666

eurocoin

Quote from: Col1n666 on January 17, 2022, 10:53:28 AM
When will this coin be released?

The 2020-dated version is already out. I haven't seen any 2021-dated pieces yet.

Col1n666

Thanks Eurocoin. Just saw one on eBay but was hoping to buy one in a presentation pack. Can't see it on Pobjoy!

eurocoin

Quote from: Col1n666 on January 17, 2022, 11:25:01 AM
Thanks Eurocoin. Just saw one on eBay but was hoping to buy one in a presentation pack. Can't see it on Pobjoy!

You are right indeed that Pobjoy Mint had so far not sold it to collectors. I have just inquired with Pobjoy Mint, which has informed me that they will not be selling the new bimetallic 1 pound coin of the Falkland Islands to collectors. The coins will only be minted for general circulation. So you will have to resort to buying a piece from eBay or from one of the dealers on the Falkland Islands if you wish to complete your collection.

Col1n666

Quote from: eurocoin on January 17, 2022, 02:16:50 PM
You are right indeed that Pobjoy Mint had so far not sold it to collectors. I have just inquired with Pobjoy Mint, which has informed me that they will not be selling the new bimetallic 1 pound coin of the Falkland Islands to collectors. The coins will only be minted for general circulation. So you will have to resort to buying a piece from eBay or from one of the dealers on the Falkland Islands if you wish to complete your collection.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated! Shame they're not doing a collector's edition but never mind.