Guernsey: Wildlife 10p series 2021-2023

Started by eurocoin, January 20, 2021, 10:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan71

Quote from: eurocoin on January 27, 2021, 04:12:49 PM
The Royal Mint still produces the standard circulation coins for Guernsey and Jersey. Furthermore Saint Helena and Ascension officially still uses The Royal Mint, although they haven't minted anything in a long time so they may change mints at the next time of minting.
That's what I'm wondering about Jersey and Guernsey though.  As far as I'm aware, no circulation coins for Guernsey have been produced since those dated 2012.  For Jersey it's 2016.  Unless the Royal Mint are still supplying them with coins of those dates, could it be that they will go elsewhere too?  The flurry of commemorative £2, 50p and now 10p from the two Bailiwicks have all been since Jersey's last dated circulation issues.

St Helena-Ascension's last circulation coins are dated 2015 as far as I know.

Serves the Royal Mint right if they have lost or do lose the contracts though.  I haven't looked at the salaries and expenses figures but I imagine they're inflation-busting and have risen sharply in recent years.

Big_M

Quote from: Alan71 on January 27, 2021, 04:00:39 PM
Thanks.  This is probably for another topic, but I'm wondering how many contracts the Royal Mint has lost/hasn't won over the last few years.  At one time it was unthinkable that Jersey, Guernsey or Falklands would go anywhere else than the Royal Mint, but now Tower and/or Pobjoy seem to be issuing all the coins.  Other than the UK, is there one Sterling Zone/Pound-at-par territory that still uses the Royal Mint?  Or even many other countries with other currencies?

Has the RM priced itself out of the market?

Indeed, there are very few countries territories that still use the RM for minting their circulating coins . Their non circulating commemoratives market is also constantly shrinking. I think they are doing better in the blanks market, though.

eurocoin

The Royal Mint still produces standard circulation coins with dates of 2012 and 2016 for Jersey and Guernsey. They do not every year redate the minting dies. I had expected that Guernsey and Jersey would by now have also chosen another mint for the production of their standard circulation coins but that may just be a contractual thing. I expect it is only a matter of time before Royal Mint no longer produces any coins for them.

eurocoin

3 further series of wildlife 10p coins will be released. The series will be for coastal wildlife, insects and garden birds. Each series will consist of 6 coins.

eurocoin

The 6  commemorative 10 pence coins in the coastal animals sub series have now been unveiled. The pieces will be released on 14 April. They will depict a dolphin, puffin, gannet, herring gull, common seal and one other bird.

Deeman

Unidentified bird is possibly a seagull.

andyg

next six - six more due by the end of the year apparently.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offa

All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

eurocoin

The next subseries, garden birds! The coins depict a robin, wren, house sparrow, jay, great spotted woodpecker and swallow.

Offa

All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

andyg

... and with the packaging comes a note -
"We expect to issue another set in three months", which takes us into 2022.

eurocoin

The series continues with another 6 coins. Woodland animals this time. Including the scottish wildcat, wood mouse, pine marten, new forest pony, lesser horseshoe bat and the dormouse. The coins were again designed by Mike Langman.

Big_M

andyg

seems a new set of these -