News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Unadopted designs by John Savage

Started by <k>, September 28, 2021, 10:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Mr. Savage very kindly sent me some photos of his work.

He writes:

A design and modelled portrait or the Queen  by me, from a supplied photo from the Royal Mint.

This a superb portrait, presumably produced in 1985. Mr. Savage points out that Raphael Maklouf's portrait won the competition.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Graham Dyer OBE is Senior Research Curator of the Royal Mint (UK).

John Savage's portrait of Princess Diana for her death commemorative coin of 1999.

Mr. Savage writes:

Please note that the scallops within the outer rim of the design are my design, which is akin to other designs produced by the Royal Mint in my name.

In 1998 I was one of six artists to participate in a competition for a Diana Princess of Wales crown coin.

A 10 inch plaster model ready for production (no initials to be included). The Royal Mint selected my model.

I was one of two sculptors chosen to go forward by the Royal Mint Advisory Committee.

At the final stage, however, David Cornell's version was preferred.

<k>

John Savage-EEC 50p sketch.jpg

John Savage is a retired English sculptor and numismatic artist.

John tells me that he is a Brexit person.

He is glad that this EEC design of his did not win the competition!

<k>

John Savage~QEII and Prince Philip.jpg

This is a design that John submitted for the Queen's silver wedding anniversary (1997).

<k>

John Savage-QEII 1993.jpg

John submitted this design for the 40th anniversary of the Queen's coronation (1993).

<k>

In 1985 Jersey celebrated its 40th anniversary of liberation from the Nazis.

Initially John Savage produced two designs of the Vega for the Royal Mint.

You can see his initials to the left of the ship.

The designs were not accepted, but no reason was given for this.

See: Jersey: Liberation Anniversary 1985.

<k>

Figleaf

At least half in jest, on the EEC membership design, it does seem like Britannia is desperately trying to paddle away from the hungry letters trying to gobble her up, while she is already surrounded by their circle of stars. :D

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

The obverse portrait of the Queen, the portrait of her on horseback and the double portrait are of good quality. The portrait of Princess Diana is too, although I do not understand why there was chosen to depict Diana wearing the headscarf. That was an odd choice. The Jersey design is much better than the one that was used on the issued coin. Only his EEC design is of poor quality.