Gibraltar: 95th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II 50p and 1 pound 2021

Started by eurocoin, September 02, 2021, 04:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

To commemorate the 95th birthday of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Gibraltar will issue a commemorative 50p coin. The coins will be minted at Tower Mint.

The coins will depict a banner with the inscription "1926-2021", surrounded by ornate patterns including a daisy, the birth flower for April. Below the banner, the lettering: "HM THE QUEEN"  and "95 GLORIOUS YEARS" can be seen.

eurocoin

First image of the coin, exclusive for World of Coins Forum:
A special BU version in base metal enhanced with gold ink, packaged in a special folder, will also be released.

The coin will be available for sale from tomorrrow.

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

andyg

always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

eurocoin

A special coin has been found in circulation in Gibraltar. Nothing is known about it. It is a 1 pound coin that has the same design on it as the commemorative 50p that was issued for the Queen's 95th birthday. The coin was produced by Tower Mint.

eurocoin

I have looked into the information in the message above and have been able to confirm that Gibraltar has indeed also authorized the release of a commemorative 1 pound coin for the 95th birthday of Queen Elizabeth II. The coins have been released into circulation today. They are not (yet?) available from any of the known coin dealers. When I first saw this piece I wondered whether Gibraltar would have minted a full commemorative circulating coin series, like they did in 2017, 2018 and 2019, but that does not appear to be the case. It is also remarkable that the 1 pound coin is still of the old style, while it is known Gibraltar has been working for quite some time on the introduction of a bimetallic 12-sided piece.

avle64e

Quote from: eurocoin on November 03, 2021, 10:58:32 PM
When I first saw this piece I wondered whether Gibraltar would have minted a full commemorative circulating coin series, like they did in 2017, 2018 and 2019, but that does not appear to be the case.
The Act says about the denominations: New  coins  of  cupro  nickel,  tombac,  brass,  nickel  brass,  silver  and  gold  in  the
denominations of ½ crown, crown, two crowns/double crown, ten crowns, thirty-two crowns,
¼ sovereign, sovereign, fifty pence, one pound and ten pounds, shall be made

eurocoin

Yes, so not a full series of 1p-2 pounds in circulation like the referendum series of 2017, Calpe House series of 2018 and Island Games series of 2019. Only the release of a commemorative 50p and 1 pound, and a bunch of collectors coins was authorized.

Offa

The £1 coin isn't listed by the Gibraltar post office site as yet.
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others

Pabitra

Not likely too.
The Royal Mint has denied the sale of bimetallic blanks and the current awardee of minting does not have the know how.

eurocoin

Quote from: Pabitra on December 02, 2021, 02:31:12 AM
Not likely too.
The Royal Mint has denied the sale of bimetallic blanks and the current awardee of minting does not have the know how.

Offa is not referring to the coin not being bimetallic. He means that the commemorative 1 pound coin is not yet available from the webshop of the Gibraltar Philatelic Bureau/Gibraltar Stamps.

Offa

Pobjoy mint the Gibraltar coins and have produced the £1 British Antarctic territories bi-metallic £1 coins
All coins are equal but some are more equal than others