News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Afghanistan / Barakzai, Muhammad Yaqub Khan, rupee of Kabul dated 1296 AH

Started by mti, September 09, 2021, 02:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mti

Hello everyone...!!!  :)

I found this coin among various Islamic coins (4 coins) ...  there is no ID for any of them... but this one is the most interesting of all:

Here's what I know so far:  Metal:  AR  ||  Size 22mm on a long side and 18mm across  ||  Weight:  9.1g

About the Size and Weight:  the coin seems to be only a fraction of the original coin...  meaning that what we see is the center of the flan and on one side a fragment of the outer border  (please see the "circled.jpg" picture)

The texts on both sides are visible and can tell us a lot (here's where I need your help in reading it)...

Also, I tried looking it up on Zeno and some similar coins I found in Qajar, Durrani, and Barakzai... but no match was found...
so, please help me to read the texts...  Thank you in advance and have a pleasant day...!!!   =))

aws22

Dear mti, your coin:
Afghanistan, Barakzai, Emir Muhammad Yaqub Khan, AH 1296/1879 AD, AR Rupee, dar al-Sultanat Kabul mint (AH 1296-1297/1879-1880 AD)
Obverse (First photo):
" امیر محمد یعقوب ", Emir Muhammad Yaqub Ibn Amir ". Date is at top " 1296 ۱۲۹۶ ".
Reverse (Second photo):
ضرب دار السلطنه كابل , zarb dar al-Sutanat Kabul.
Muhammad Yaqub Khan, is the Afghan son of Sher Ali, he is known as the unified Emir of Afghan. He also served as the governor of Herat from 1871-1874 AD under his father's rule. He was Emir of Afghanistan from February 21 to October 12, 1879.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

mti

Dear Maythem,  Thank you very much...!!!

Your information helped me once again to find the match on Zeno...  I found 4 different samples that are matching my coin:

https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=164647
https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=15146
https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=4173
https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=166226

These samples are with Dates and Mints...  since they all look similar and all have the same Date (exactly the date you've identified on my coin) - I think it is safe to assume the Mint for my coin will be also "Kabul"...

Also the weight on the samples are approximately the same as my coin - 9.1g...  The only odd thing is the shape of my coin - I wonder if it was considered by the Mint, (even back then), as a Mint Error...!?!?

Figleaf

Sorry, not an error. The Kabul mint's first machine-struck coins are dated 1308, so your coin was hammered. The hammering process used heated flans. In the case of your coin, I see two causes for the shape of your coin. One is an "end of batch" effect: the flan makers were near the end of the batch of silver. They scraped the last drops together, hoping it would be enough for one last coin. It was, but only just. Regular Afghan rupees of this era come in at 9.1 - 9.3 grams (includes wear). A 1308 rupee was 9.2 grams, so yours is light, but not fatally so.

The other effect is the heat. As there was almost no silver left in the container, the heat below it was not tempered (enough), making the remaining metal extra hot and malleable. When the last flan of the batch was picked up to be deposited before the man with the hammer, the thongs squeezed into the flan, forming an "ear".

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Quote from: mti on September 09, 2021, 04:43:30 AM
...These samples are with Dates and Mints...  since they all look similar and all have the same Date (exactly the date you've identified on my coin) - I think it is safe to assume the Mint for my coin will be also "Kabul"...

Here is a paper posted by Oesho depicting the minting of your coin at Kabul mint in years 1880...
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)