News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

The Heaton Mint

Started by mrbadexample, September 09, 2016, 01:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manzikert

Just for fun here are the 1 mazuna (Y 14.1, 3,000,000) and 5 mazunas (Y 16.1 2,400,000) of this series. I'm looking for the 2 mazunas.

Alan

mrbadexample

Quote from: Figleaf on June 07, 2017, 11:04:08 PM
It should be read togther with the two lines above: ضرب بانڭلند, zarb fi bi angland - struck in England. This is not an usual way to present the mint in the Arabic tradition.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I had no idea what the rest meant. :)

mrbadexample

The ½ cent to go with the British North Borneo 1 cent posted earlier in the topic. 1891H - 2 million minted.

mrbadexample

Nicaragua, 10 centavos 1880. KM#3. H mintmark at a jaunty angle for a change.  :)

mrbadexample

Costa Rica 25 centavos 1893, KM#130. Nothing subtle about the large HEATON BIRMM mintmark on this one. The Birmingham mint produced all of Costa Rica's coins from 1889-1893.

mrbadexample

El Salvador 1 centavo 1913, KM#106 and 3 centavos 1913, KM#107. These were the last issues produced for El Salvador by the Birmingham Mint.

mrbadexample

Guatemala 1 real 1900, KM#177. Unusually, no mintmark on this one, although it was produced by Heatons.

gollada

I recently procured a  Tea Garden Token mule minted by R Heaton & Son (Birmingham mint).  The toke is part of F Pridmore's collection.  However, since it is a mule with two different denominations, I am not sure what the 'Obverse' looks like.

is there any resource available for coins/tokens minted by Heaton & Sons?

For details of the coin - see Coin 4 here:  http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,25772.msg169328.html#msg169328/

mrbadexample

Quote from: gollada on September 01, 2021, 06:30:31 PM

is there any resource available for coins/tokens minted by Heaton & Sons?

A Numismatic History of the Birmingham Mint by James O. Sweeny is the best resource I have, but it doesn't mention this piece as far as I can see.  :-\

Figleaf

Sweeny is the be-all and end-all of Heaton coinage. He had full access to all their files before they closed. However, it is coins only. No tokens need apply. Does your token appear in any of Pridmore's books? I have some of them, not the complete series.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbadexample

Sweeny includes Australasian tokens but not much else other than some advertising pieces.

I only have the Pridmore covering Europe. :(

What happened to all my pictures Peter? I'd edit them but after a hard drive failure I no longer have them.

Figleaf

They got a different resize horizontally and vertically. Since nobody else has this problem, it should logically be your graphics software. Tere may be a connection with the inset?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Siberian Man

British North Borneo.
2-1/2 cents 1903.

Siberian Man

British North Borneo.
5 cents 1938.

Siberian Man

Malaya and British Borneo.
10 cents 1961.