St. Helena-Ascension 2012: X Cash - East India Company

Started by <k>, August 20, 2021, 02:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

St Helena X cash.jpg

Saint Helena, X cash.

"Cash coin were currency units used during the time of the British rule in India. As a testament to India's national bird, the peacock, the East India Company pays homage to its beauty and grace with this Silver coin."

This 10 pence collector coin was made of silver. Its diameter is 27 mm - significantly wider than the 24.5 mm of the current 10 pence coin.

Did any coin or token of the East India Company carry a design of a peacock? I know they were found on the coins of Burma in the 1800s.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Figleaf

I am not aware of any peacocks on BEIC coins. It might even have been politically embarrassing, as Iran had already claimed it as a national symbol.

However, as you know, the issues is not the BEIC but a shop, calling itself EIC in Covent Garden that will do anything for money, including peacocks and a cash denomination on a medal they would love you to take for a coin. I guess that once in a while innocent, loving (grand)parents who know nothing about coin collecting beyond that their (grand)son collects coins assume that this is the sort of thing he likes and fall for the game. Somehow, EIC does not have a grain of my sympathy. >:(

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

I was not aware of a shop called East India Company in Covent Garden. I gather then that the shop has nothing to do with the historical entity.

I note that Burma featured peacocks on its coin in the 1800s. So far as I know, Burma was once part of the British Empire but was incorporated into India by the British at some stage.

So the peacock on the collector coin above has more to do with the Covent Garden shop, in your opinion, than with the historical entity.

Pabitra

Peacock is national bird of India.
India after independence in 1947, did use peacock on its pattern coins.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg 

<k>