News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Coins with the year on both sides

Started by <k>, August 07, 2021, 05:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

This is an idea suggested to me by our forum member Globetrotter.

So far, I have found only two examples, both from a single design series.

I hope that other members will join in and help.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Dominican Republic 5 pesos 2002.jpg

Dominican Republic, 5 pesos, 2002.

<k>

Dominican Republic 10 pesos 2008.jpg

Dominican Republic, 10 pesos, 2008.

This coin type was first issued in 2005.

Figleaf

This one should count, even though the dates on both sides are different.

Peter

An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

chrisild

Don't think this was done on "DACH" (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) circulation coins. The date may be repeated on commemorative or collector coins when some anniversary is celebrated. See the attached example; on the image side it says "600 Years University of Leipzig" and the dates 1409 and 2009. So on the eagle side the date could have been left out – but that is very rarely done.

Christian

Globetrotter

Hi,

thanks for having started this thread. Years and years ago I suggested to go for a new definition of the sides of a coin. Year side and not year side, since for some coins it's impossible to know, what side is obverse and which reverse. When there is no portrait, how to decide and who decides?
Example https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces1197.html
I remember that the suggestion was not well accomodated, with a lot of examples showing coins with dates on both sides.... of course I've forgotten which ones and I can't remember in which forum I aired the idea.
Thanks Ole

<k>

Krause-Mishler regards the side that shows the country name (and failing that the issuing authority) as the obverse. However, I believe that there are even a very few coins that even then have two obverses, according to those criteria!

eurocoin

I find the top 2 coins way more interesting. 'Commemorative dates' should be excluded from this topic. There are many commemorative coins that depict the date on both sides.

<k>

But the commemorative coins show one of the reasons WHY a year sometimes appears on both sides.

eurocoin

Quote from: <k> on August 08, 2021, 01:20:53 PM
But the commemorative coins show one of the reasons WHY a year sometimes appears on both sides.

Ok, then. For me it will be interesting to see if there are any other coins, that commemorate no specific event, on which the date was included on both sides. I think it is a very rare occurrence.

chrisild

Quite rare indeed, yes. Well, having the date on either side does not make sense anyway. ;D  One exception I would make is "dual dates", such as AD on one side and AH on the other side ...

This obverse/reverse discussion is strange in my opinion. There is no "gold standard", and it is not even relevant. One criterion is what the issuing authority considers to be the obverse or reverse. 8) For me the obverse is usually the side that shows the face value, given that this is the decisive criterion. But of course that implies we know about the issuer ...

German collector coins do not have an obverse or reverse by the way. It is Bildseite (lit. "image side") and Wertseite (lit. "value side") ... and that also points at the fact that the Bildseite is the more interesting one, hehe.

Christian

Globetrotter

Quote from: chrisild on August 08, 2021, 03:10:45 PM
Quite rare indeed, yes. Well, having the date on either side does not make sense anyway. ;D  One exception I would make is "dual dates", such as AD on one side and AH on the other side ...

This obverse/reverse discussion is strange in my opinion. There is no "gold standard", and it is not even relevant. One criterion is what the issuing authority considers to be the obverse or reverse. 8) For me the obverse is usually the side that shows the face value, given that this is the decisive criterion. But of course that implies we know about the issuer ...

German collector coins do not have an obverse or reverse by the way. It is Bildseite (lit. "image side") and Wertseite (lit. "value side") ... and that also points at the fact that the Bildseite is the more interesting one, hehe.

Christian

That's a good way to define it as well, I do not recall having seen any coin with two value sides.
Ole

<k>

Quote from: chrisild on August 08, 2021, 03:10:45 PM

But some coins are plain on both sides and do not have any pictorial, heraldic or symbolic design.

<k>

Globetrotter

Sorry, never thought to look for that in themes.......