News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Royal Dutch Mint to get a new mintmaster (and mintmaster mark)

Started by eurocoin, July 06, 2021, 05:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

Mintmaster Stephan Satijn of Royal Dutch Mint has quit. It is not yet known whether there will be an interim mintmaster who will continue to use his 'St. Servaas Bridge' mark with an added star, as is normal for an interim mintmaster, or whether the Royal Dutch Mint will immediately appoint a permanent new mintmaster, who will then choose a completely new mark.

The mark of the mintmaster of the Royal Dutch Mint is being minted on all Dutch euro coins. It is occasionally also being minted on euro coins of foreign countries, that are not intended for circulation such as standard coins in coin sets, 2 euro commemorative coins in special collectors qualities and collectors coins. Furthermore the mark appears on all coins of Aruba, and on the circulation coins, commemorative coins and collectors coins of the Netherlands Antilles that are being minted at the Royal Dutch Mint.

eurocoin

Although no interim mintmaster has been officially appointed yet as per Companies House, the Royal Dutch Mint is currrently using the mintmastermark bridge + star.

Source: member llinde on the German forum Emuenzen.de

Angus

Any circulation coins likely this year? I can see Luxembourg issuing some variants!

Figleaf

What's the hurry? I haven't even completed the bridge series from circulation yet. I am badgering my daughter, who tells me all she gets is ancient German, Spanish and Belgian euro coins and wants me to buy a shiny series from the mint. And now, the shinies turn up in Germany? That smells! :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

The Netherlands will not be minting any coins for general circulation this year. The mintmastermark of the Royal Dutch Mint has since 2018 not been depicted on coins minted for general circulation of foreign countries. The Netherlands is still planning to release several coin sets this year so I think that we can be certain that there will also be at least one Dutch coin set containing the 2021-dated standard coin series with the bridge + star mark.

eurocoin

The interim mintmaster mark bridge + star will for the first time be used on a medal that will next week be sold on the coin fair in Houten to commemorate 70 years of Dutch television. 

eurocoin

The Royal Dutch Mint was earlier asked who is currently its interim mintmaster. They were unwilling to divulge that information. In an article of earlier today however, the newspaper 'De Telegraaf' had a conversation with the financial director of the Royal Dutch Mint, Bert van Ravenswaaij. In the article they refer to him as 'mintmaster', so it seems that he is currently the interim mintmaster of the Royal Dutch Mint.

Angus

Quote from: eurocoin on November 17, 2021, 04:24:07 PM
The Royal Dutch Mint was earlier asked who is currently its interim mintmaster. They were unwilling to divulge that information. In an article of earlier today however, the newspaper 'De Telegraaf' had a conversation with the financial director of the Royal Dutch Mint, Bert van Ravenswaaij. In the article they refer to him as 'mintmaster', so it seems that he is currently the interim mintmaster of the Royal Dutch Mint.
A raven mintmark?

eurocoin

An interim mintmaster, what Bert van Ravenswaaij currently seems to be, is not allowed to choose his own mintmaster mark. Instead he uses his predecessor's mark with an added star. Only permanent mintmasters can choose a new mark.

Angus

Quote from: eurocoin on November 17, 2021, 04:54:03 PM
An interim mintmaster, what Bert van Ravenswaaij currently seems to be, is not allowed to choose his own mintmaster mark. Instead he uses his predecessor's mark with an added star. Only permanent mintmasters can choose a new mark.
I knew that really!

eurocoin

From 1 January 2022, Bert van Ravenswaaij will be permanent mintmaster of the Royal Dutch Mint. He is currently the CFO of the company, where he started working in 2017. Mr Van Ravenswaaij will be using the mintmastermark 'raven'. His surname is derived from the German word 'hraban' which means 'raven'.

Myself, I am very pleased with the appointment of Mr Van Ravenswaaij. He has a lot of experience within the company. I am glad that someone with actual knowledge about the company and its products will be mintmaster again.

chrisild

Sounds good!  :like:

But wouldn't "raven" be Dutch (plural of raaf) anyway? In German we say Rabe (pl: Raben); hraban may be from some early time when German and Dutch were just parts of the same, errm, language blob. ;D Have you already seen an image of the new mark?

eurocoin

Quote from: chrisild on December 17, 2021, 03:48:15 PM
Have you already seen an image of the new mark?

Not yet, unfortunately. It will be unveiled at a later moment. There will likely also be a first strike ceremony.
I just read a public message of him on Linkedin in which he seemed quite proud that his mark will amongst other things also appear on the Dutch circulation coins.  :)

eurocoin

Angus

Nice!  So there won't be any bridge + star circulation or commemorative coins?