Large civic copper of Qum / lion attacking a gazelle

Started by saro, July 13, 2021, 02:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saro

This large civic copper is of the same type as Alaedini p.12 (holed also).
17,70g / 31mm
This coin is dated 1144 but only the last digit "4" is cut at 7 o'clock  (it is well "4" even if it may looks like a "7" when cut...), the other digits are quite fully erased but present at the same place as on Alaedini's coin (11 in the loop of sin of "falus" and "4" under "falu").

Fortunately, the holes do not deteriorate too much the scene of the lion attacking a gazelle  :)
"zarb falus Qum  /  ضرب فلوس قم "
Civic copper of Qum are all scarce.
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

Nice! Good catch by looking beyond the holes. There is one smaller hole that I cannot explain, but the four others lead me to believe that the coin was used as a belt buckle, either for a belt consisting of two strings or for a device keeping a head cover together.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

saro

Yes Peter,  this coin had to be preserved for posterity thanks to its use as an ornament; not pierced, it might have ended its life in a crucible for recasting ...
it could well have been stapled on a body harness, which would agree with the oblique position of the 4 holes ?

THCoins

I love the depiction of the animals. Being a Qum piece with such clear signs of practical use clearly adds to the story behind the coin !
Thanks for showing this.

saro