News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

France to change the designs on its 1 and 2 euro coins

Started by eurocoin, July 18, 2021, 06:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

France is going to change the national sides of its standard 1 and 2 euro coins. The amended coins will likely start to circulate in 2022. It is unknown how significant the change will be.

Angus

Interesting (and ironic that the current design denotes 'continuity').  What is the source for this?

eurocoin

Quote from: Angus on July 18, 2021, 07:35:33 PM
Interesting (and ironic that the current design denotes 'continuity').  What is the source for this?

The Council of the European Union.

chrisild

Interesting news, thanks! Well, theoretically all denominations of the French circulation coins should be amended at some point ... in the next 40 years. ;)  Not because of any "core" design element but due to the way the stars are shown on the ring.

So that cannot be the issue here. But a mere change of the mint(master) mark for example would be a simple procedure that does not need to be OK'd by others. Thus it will be more than that. Hmmm.

Christian

eurocoin

It could indeed be only a minor amendment to comply with the requirement that was in 2012 laid down in that European regulation, although the requirement is a bit ridiculous of course as the world will have long gone cashless by 2062, the date by which member states must comply with it. Also I am not sure whether the French 10, 20 and 50 euro cent coins would be deemed to comply with the regulation either. If not, it would be ridiculous to now only change the 1 and 2 euro.

The French Treasury was asked for comment but has not yet replied.

eurocoin

So, it will be a full redesign of these 2 coins then.
Very bad website that Numismag. First thing I see when loading it is exclusive information copied from me for which they credit themselves.

redlock

So, the same new design for both the €1 and €2 coin?

eurocoin

The designs for the new 1 and 2 euro coins of France were on 26 July approved by the Council of the European Union. The new designs will be unveiled to the public in October.

chrisild

Quote from: eurocoin on July 28, 2021, 10:44:15 AM
The designs for the new 1 and 2 euro coins of France were on 26 July approved by the Council of the European Union. The new designs will be unveiled to the public in October.

Hmm ... "designs" ... plural?  ;)  Would be nice of course.

eurocoin

Let's just say that the redesigned 1 and 2 euro coins will be unveiled in October.

Angus

Would a freedom of information request to the Commission/Council get them any quicker?!

eurocoin

I highly doubt it, but of course regardless I did immediately send a request last week. The Council of the European Union normally consults the government concerned about whether they have objections against publication of the document. While, as far as I know, the Council then has to take its own decision, in virtually all cases it just does what their member state told them to do, even if they have only marginally claimed an hypothetical chance that it could be against their interests.

eurocoin

As expected, always the same nónsense...

Following your request for access to documents, public authorities of France have expressly requested the General Secretariat of the Council not to disclose the draft designs and the correspondence related thereto to the public. Disclosing the document would undermine the protection of the public interest as regards the financial, monetary and economic policy of France, and/or the protection of the commercial interests of a natural or legal person, including intellectual property.

The Council wrote to me that the new designs were submitted to them on 11 November 2020. If that is indeed correct, that would mean that this process has been going on for a long time. In that case, I wonder why France did not yet issue the new coins this year. Production of standard French 2 euro coins for general circulation often happens in the summer anyway. The French 1 euro coin hasn't been minted for general circulation since 2002.