Coin designs that mix realistic with simplistic elements

Started by <k>, July 11, 2021, 10:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Some coin designs mix realistic with simplistic elements. Perhaps a human figure is portrayed with a realistic face but with a merely outlined body. Perhaps the humans are realistic but the landscape background is simplistic. I have not seen many examples of such designs, but I will show some here.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

Bhutan 300 ngultrum 1993.jpg

Bhutan, 300 ngultrum, 1993.  40th anniversary of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

<k>

Nepal, 2 rupees, 2006.

The cow looks worried. "I'm a real cow, but those hills look phony to me. I've seen that film 'The Matrix'. How can I get hold of the red pill ?"

<k>

Latvia, 2 lati, 1999.

Realistic cow, impressionistic grass. Can it ever satisfy the cow's appetite?

<k>

Alderney, 5 pounds, 2004.  Realistic train and bridge, impressionistic waters, waves and steam.

Deeman

Wouldn't say that the Alderney bridge is realistic. Too few bricks!

<k>

Deeman

Figleaf

It's the same problem coin designers have with tree leaves. Too many of them, so they simplify and either make them larger or draw them as they draw clouds.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Kiribati $20 1992.jpg

Kiribati, $20, 1992.  Real people, ghost bird! Scary.

eurocoin

UK, 5 pounds, 2018. Trees and plants alongside pathway leading upto, and around, the cannons.

Figleaf

Not that it matters, but for the record, the "cannons" are in fact 15" naval guns. The diameter means that they were used after 1914 on a (presumably British) battleship. The IWM records say one came from Ramillies, a first world war battleship, the other from Roberts, a second world war "monitor" with recycled main armament.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

Ukraine, 2 hryvnia, 2015.   120 years of Kharkiv Zoo.

Imagine if you saw some people in the street that looked like those above. You'd be shocked.

The animals certainly look shocked. They've all come out to view these strange creatures.

<k>

Mozambique, 5 meticais, 1980. Tractor. N# 1155

What comes out of a tractor - smoke or steam? In any case, it doesn't look too realistic.

<k>

Cape Verde, 20 escudos, 1994.

Realistic bird, simplistic waves.