News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Gibraltar to issue new series of standard circulating coins 2020

Started by eurocoin, December 11, 2020, 10:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jostein

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

avle64e

Has anyone seen the design of the new bimetallic 1 pound 2020 Gibraltar yet?

eurocoin

No information has yet been released in regard of the new 12-sided 1 pound coin of Gibraltar. With Gibraltar one needs to have patience.

avle64e

Quote from: eurocoin on February 12, 2021, 04:27:51 PM
No information has yet been released in regard of the new 12-sided 1 pound coin of Gibraltar. With Gibraltar one needs to have patience.
A friend of mine who lives in Gibraltar called the Treasury this week. He was told that within 1-2 weeks they would receive all the denominations of the 2020 coins. Including a bimetallic 12-sided 1 pound. They promised that they would first send the coins to the banks, and later perhaps they would be available in the Treasury for the residents of Gibraltar.

Jostein

Quote from: avle64e on February 12, 2021, 05:03:42 PM
A friend of mine who lives in Gibraltar called the Treasury this week. He was told that within 1-2 weeks they would receive all the denominations of the 2020 coins. Including a bimetallic 12-sided 1 pound. They promised that they would first send the coins to the banks, and later perhaps they would be available in the Treasury for the residents of Gibraltar.

Thanks for share  ;)

Lets see if this become true!
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

gordarpi

Quote from: avle64e on February 12, 2021, 05:03:42 PM

Indeed, heard about the same - approximately 2 weeks - from an acquaintance on the Rock. Although it would be quite interesting for a circulation series not be available from the treasury including for international customers.

gordarpi

It seems the state of the art 1£ coin (issuance) might suffer some delay, but we will certainly see by the the end of the week what kind of turn the events take.

eurocoin

The necessary legal steps for the issuance of the new coin have also yet to be taken.

gordarpi

In this case the law maker might be Mr. Picardo - in his power of minister for finance - has already been vaccinated afaik, so hopefully the appropriate amendment shall be adopted anytime soon :) or eventually the coinage act needs to be revisited by the Parliament.

gordarpi

Maybe this is fake news, but outdated to say the least, perhaps not reliable. Anyway it states the following regarding the 1£ coin:

"... the Rock is expected to create a new design with a map showing the EU area without the UK..."

source: https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2019/01/08/new-12-sided-gibraltar-1-coin-could-feature-eu-map-without-uk/

eurocoin

The 2 pound coin. The coin is supposed to show the eastern side of the Rock of Gibraltar, with the beaches Sandy Bay, Catalan Bay and Eastern Bay visible.

Deeman

Another view that is hard to portray effectively on coinage. Somewhat disappointing issue.

gordarpi

That's a shot taken most probably from the viewpoint along the nature trail of the Med Steps, but the real picture in my memory is much better than the one on the 2£ coin. Again laser engraving like, better to look at my pictures to be able to forget about this horrible copy of an otherwise scenic and unforgettable view especially when the levant(er) cloud is on rendez-vous.

Nevertheless my GiB acquaintance told me they liked the 50p, so this can turn out to be success too when I will get hold of it, but for sure not at the price tag of the GiB Philatelic shop. With such a design they would rather have to pay me to include it into my collection :)

<k>

So which denominations have we seen for this set? 20 pence, 50 pence, 2 pound coin. Where are the others? It's well into 2021 now.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.