2022 American Women Quarters Program

Started by chrisild, June 19, 2021, 11:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisild

Next year several quarters (25 cent coins) will honor various American women: Maya Angelou, Sally Ride, Wilma Mankiller, Adelina Otero-Warren, and Anna May Wong. Not sure whether there will be more issues. The proposed designs can be viewed here:

* Maya Angelou quarter designs
* Sally Ride quarter designs
* Wilma Mankiller quarter designs
* Adelina Otero-Warren quarter designs
* Anna May Wong quarter designs

Interesting that the Adelina Otero-Warren coin will apparently have a motto in Spanish, as all designs show that, with only minor text variations. And then, among the Anna May Wong designs, I like AMW-01, with the text designed as in a movie intro:

UNITED STATES
PRESENTS
ANNA MAY WONG
IN
QUARTER DOLLAR

8) Christian

brandm24

I'm glad you posted these, Christian. I wasn't aware of thr new coins for 2022 until now.

For me most of the designs are uninspiring, but I do like the Anna May Wong pieces and the Sally Ride designs some what. The others I don't much care for but the series as a whole is interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Bruce
Always Faithful

GCVO

The quarters will also have a different obverse, with the recommended candidate being Laura Gardin Fraser's victorious but unused design from the competition that produced the original Washington quarters.

FosseWay

Quote from: GCVO on June 24, 2021, 12:22:58 PM
The quarters will also have a different obverse, with the recommended candidate being Laura Gardin Fraser's victorious but unused design from the competition that produced the original Washington quarters.

The link you give also describes the program as being "2022-2025" so I guess that's an answer to Christian's question about whether there will be more.

GCVO

Yes, then in 2026 there will be five coins for the 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence (I think the other denominations will also change for that), then from 2027-2030 it's five coins a year focused on youth sports.

brandm24

Building on Christian's thread about the American Women Quarters program.

Five coins will be issued each year from 2022 through 2025. While each issue will feature a different influential woman in American history, all obverses will be the same using an original portrait of George Washington by Laura Gardin Fraser. This was her submission to the Treasury Dept. for the new quarter to be struck starting in 1932. Though thought by many to be superior to that of John Flannigan's entry it was not chosen by Treasury Secretary Melon.

The first coin to be released on February 5, 2022 features Maya Angelou. The background piece comes directly from the United States website.

"The Maya Angelo Quarter is the first coin in the American Women Quarters Program.
            Maya Angelou was a celebrated writer, performer, and social activist. She rose to international
            prominence as an author after the publication of her groundbreaking autobiography "I
            Know Why the Caged Bird Sings." Angelou published works of verse, non-fiction and fiction
            include more than 30 titles.

Angelou's remarkable career encompasses dance, theater, journalism, and social activism.
            She appeared in Broadway and off-Broadway plays, including "Cabaret for Freedom," which
            she wrote with Godfrey Cambridge. At the request of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., she served
            as northern coordinator of the Southern Leadership Conference. In 1978, she was a National
            Book Award judge for biography and autobiography.

Angelou read "On the Pulse of Morning" at the 1992 inauguration of President Clinton.
            Angelou's reading marked the first time an African American woman wrote and presented a
            poem at a presidential inauguration. She was also only the second poet in history to do so,
            following Robert Frost, who recited a poem at President Kennedy's inauguration in 1961."

Both the Philadelphia and Denver mints will strike coins. The composition is cupro-nickel with 8.33 % being nickel. The weight is 5.670 g. According to the mint's website the first offering will be for rolls and bags. These are circulating issues as other quarter programs have been in the past.

Bruce

Always Faithful

brandm24

I received a Maya Angelou quarter in change a few days ago. The original release date was to be February 5th but i think there was a slight delay. In any case, it's highly unusual to find new issues in change so quickly even though this example was struck in Philadelphia. I don't live more than a quick train ride away from the mint. Go figure.

Bruce
Always Faithful