US and Canadian ration tokens

Started by gpimper, September 16, 2020, 08:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

Perhaps they are the initials of the person operating the machine at a given time - the 20th century equivalent of the medieval pennies with LEOFRIC ON LUNDENE and similar on the reverse  ;)

brandm24

It doesn't seem like they would be random. There has to be some reason for them.

I hear you about the 50 years, Greg, but the government just loves keeping secrets...even if they really don't need to be secrets. ::)

Bruce
Always Faithful

Figleaf

I agree, Bruce. If the letters were random there would have been more different letters.

One reason for a civil servant to claim something is classified is that (s)he doesn't know or has lost the information.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

eurocoin

Osborne Coinage replied to my email of a while ago. They informed me that nobody there really knows what the letters are for and it appears they do no longer have information on this. The things they mentioned about the letters being random was based on what they had in the past read on the internet about this, as they more often receive questions about the letters.

Figleaf

A decent reaction, especially since they are getting the question more often. Unfortunately, it doesn't bring us any further, but it was worth trying.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Thanks for the information, eurocoin. It's nice to hear about a company replying to an inquiry...many don't. I've made inquiries for information many times over the years, and have rarely received a response. It looks like our mystery continues. I can't think of anywhere to inquire off hand, but think I'll look around a bit more.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Just thought I'd throw this one in here. This is the Canadian equivalent of a US Opa Token. Apparently, it's made of cardboard. I didn't know of these until I came across this one while researching something else. I wonder if it was also made by Osborne?

Bruce
Always Faithful

FosseWay

I'd say from the style that there's a good chance Osborne made them. Look at the A with the flat top - that's not a typical shape for the letter in a commonly used font as far as I know, yet it's repeated here.

brandm24

That's a good point, I hadn't done any comparisons. BTW, I have been snooping around for an answer to our question about the meaning of the letter codes. I have a few collector friends who might have a clue.

Bruce
Always Faithful

eurocoin

I just received another email of Osborne Coinage in regard of my question of 6 months ago concerning the letters on the tokens. Attached was an article they had found by the Cincinatti Numismatic Association about these fibre tokens. It can be read here.

FosseWay

Thanks for that - very interesting, and probably as close as we're ever going to get regarding the little letters.

brandm24

That explains the origin of the Canadian token in Reply #21...a product of Obborne and from left over tokens no longer used by the US. Many thanks for the article, eurocoin.

Bruce
Always Faithful