News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Guernsey: Wildlife 10p series 2021-2023

Started by eurocoin, January 20, 2021, 10:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

The Government of Guernsey is going to issue a series of Wildlife 10p coins. The series will consist of 6 coins. The coins will depict the brown hare, red squirrel, hedegehog, badger, red fox and fallow deer. They were designed by artist Mike Langman.

Col1n666

Thank for the info, Eurocoin. Just ordered the coloured ones I quite like them!  ::)

andyg

How many sets of these are there going to be?

This from Westminster website,
QuoteWe hope that The Woodland Mammals 10p coins will be followed by occasional (3-4 month intervals) future 10p sets celebrating other aspects of British Wildlife, from our Birds to our Sea life. By ordering your Woodland Mammals Uncirculated 10p Set today, you also have no obligation Priority Access to automatically receive these future issues.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Alan71

Quote from: andyg on January 22, 2021, 12:01:32 AM
How many sets of these are there going to be?

This from Westminster website,
By the look of it, quite a few, if the size of the folder in eurocoin's photo is anything to go by.  The inside of it suggests nine to a page, and the thickness of it suggests at least six pages.  These multiple issues are clearly never going to end.  When it comes to coin collecting, less is definitely more (for me anyway).  The more issues there are, the more my interest wanes...

eurocoin

On the coloured coins only the denomination '10 pence' is minted. All the rest of the design and lettering on the reverse is only paint.

Deeman

Only the hedgehog is a resident of Guernsey. Yet another CI issue of little relevance to the island.

eurocoin

Quote from: Deeman on January 27, 2021, 10:44:23 AM
Only the hedgehog is a resident of Guernsey. Yet another CI issue of little relevance to the island.

I did not know this. That is very bad!  >:(

brandm24

Agreed, it is odd that they would issue coins highlighting non-native animals. I do like them though.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Deeman

Agreed, the design is very appealing. Pity the RM haven't thought of such an issue.

Alan71

Quote from: Deeman on January 27, 2021, 02:00:16 PM
Agreed, the design is very appealing. Pity the RM haven't thought of such an issue.
Did the Royal Mint issue these?  I somehow doubt it?

Deeman

Quote from: Alan71 on January 27, 2021, 02:04:35 PM
Did the Royal Mint issue these?  I somehow doubt it?

I think it was the Tower Mint, but I'm sure eurocoin will advise.

eurocoin

Alan71

Thanks.  This is probably for another topic, but I'm wondering how many contracts the Royal Mint has lost/hasn't won over the last few years.  At one time it was unthinkable that Jersey, Guernsey or Falklands would go anywhere else than the Royal Mint, but now Tower and/or Pobjoy seem to be issuing all the coins.  Other than the UK, is there one Sterling Zone/Pound-at-par territory that still uses the Royal Mint?  Or even many other countries with other currencies?

Has the RM priced itself out of the market?

eurocoin

The Royal Mint still produces the standard circulation coins for Guernsey and Jersey. Furthermore Saint Helena and Ascension officially still uses The Royal Mint, although they haven't minted anything in a long time so they may change mints at the next time of minting.

Deeman

Quote from: Alan71 on January 27, 2021, 04:00:39 PM
Has the RM priced itself out of the market?

Look at the salaries and expenses claimed by RM directors. That must take the edge off RM's competitiveness.