Panna Paisa (?), Chhatarpur mint (Provisional), sunflower mint mark

Started by Rangnath, November 27, 2007, 12:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangnath

I suspect that this is another example of a paisa with too little information left to make an attribution. 
My guess is that the side with information is the obverse and it is the reverse that unfortunately holds the key.  I took photos of the reverse in two positions, to let the light work its way on the higher spots of the coin.  I see something.  I'm sure you, Oesho, can see more.  Can you see enough?
The coin is 11.2 grams and 13 X 12 mm across.
Richie

Rangnath

the "obverse" is in better condition.

Figleaf

This pieces would probably benefit from a prolonged (2 or 3 days) bath in olive oil. It won't hurt any and it may bring out more detail.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Rangnath

OK, extra virgin (sounds like another call for Ghiyas al-Din's harem) on the way.
richie

Overlord

I'm not sure if this is any help, but the inscription on the "obverse" seems to match the reverse of some of the coins of Indore.

Rangnath

Since I first posted this coin until now, over one year has elapsed.  That's just a blink of an eye compared to the age of the coin. 
Why didn't I follow Peter's suggestion?  I don't remember. Maybe I got distracted.  Anyway, I'm putting it in some virgin olive oil today, and in a few days, I'll post another image of it.

Thanks Overlord.  I think you're right.  I imagine that there are numerous anonymous unpublished coins from Indore. This might be another one of those.
richie

Rangnath

OK, I used extra virgin olive oil, soaked it for few days and here is what I have now. 
I like the change, but I'll bet that it still is a coin in want of an attribution. 
I guess Indore is a good guess Overlord.
richie

Salvete

Dear All,
Please take a closer look at the 'sun' on this coin.  It has a stem, so it is probably supposed to be a sunflower.  The only place I have seen a sunflower (apart from a scarce half anna of Lashkar - probably) is on a Chhatarpur coin of Panna state, and the paisas, if that is what it is, are not common coins.  I have never seen one 'in the flesh'.  The illustration in Krause is abysmal, so it is hard to say that yours and theirs are the same, but it is my belief that this is a copper paisa of Chhatapur mint, Panna state, a type of coin I have been hoping to find.  If the owner wishes to part with it, he knows where to contact me......
Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

asm

Salvete,
I too agree that the sunflower looks very similar to those on the coins of the Chattrapur mint of Panna and different from that observed on the coins of Indore.

Richie,
CCCCCongratulationsssssss. You must thank Peter and I think that you owe him a big big big party....and what about the extra virgin Olive Oil? It is infact the work of the Olive Oil that we have an exceptional coin here.....

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Salvete

Yes, that is a great improvement.  I have never tried olive oil, Peter.  Maybe it will bring out the best in some of my tired old coppers.  Better than a wire brush, anyway.  If it helps, I will owe you one!
Salvete
Ultimately, our coins are only comprehensible against the background of their historical context.

Rangnath

Dear Salvete,
I would like to change the subject title of this thread to a more accurate one and I would like your opinion.
How does this sound:

Panna Paisa (?), Chhatarpur mint (Provisional), sunflower mint mark

richie

Salvete

Dear Richie,
That seems like a sensible move.  If others have a better idea of what it is they will, no doubt, let you know.
Salvete

Figleaf

Olive oil will do nothing to copper, but it does a good job on reviving colour, Salvete. It's virtually risk free (even very long soaks will do no harm), so try it out on your coppers. You can't lose. And I owe you one for your great contributions. 8)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Salvete

You are a gentleman, Peter, and there are very few of us left!
Salvete.