Tranquebar - 400 years Anniversary !!

Started by Trankebar, November 20, 2020, 05:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trankebar

Today is the 400 years Anniversary of Tranquebar here in Denmark  ... as well as in India !!  ;)

The treaty with the Rajah of Tanjore , Raghunatha Nayak , is dated November 19th. 1620 - but actually it was not signed until the day after - on November 20th. 1620 - and since a treaty is not really valid until signed - I guess today is the very day of the Anniversary !!

I started collecting coins in 1969 - and since 1984 I researched the trade coins of Denmark - including Tranquebar and especially the Tranquebar rupees !!
Today new research has shed light on several hitherto unknown facts about these coins - concerning the Tranquebar gold Pagoda we now know 13 specimens, with 2 die types of both avers and reverse dies  ( 2 die types of the front and 2 other types of the back ) - we also now know of at least 6 cases of fake Tranquebar gold Pagodas - many of which I have photos and descriptions to show !!

The Tranquebar Rupees has a special place in my research - after 36 years of research - we now know of 3 types of this Rupee - I probably have one of the largest collections in the world of these .

Type 1 is still only plausible .. but a very good candidate for the first type ...
Type 2 is now 100 % certain , because contemporary historical description of it´s minting has now been found !!
Type 3 is now near certain - for the first time ever, it is now possible to explain why type 3 is indeed a Tranquebar Rupee - this is the type with a trishul and flower bud, as described by Jan Lingen and the late Uno Barner Jensen , who I knew - one of the Tranquebar Rupees in my collection used to belong to Uno ....

It is also very interesting , that most likely, some of the Tranquebar rupees has been copied by indian mints !!

Since all my research and articles are in danish - then I just need to know , are ANYBODY here actually interested in Tranquebar coins and the latest research as of november 2020 ??
I can translate it into the Queens english ... but it could take a wee bit of time ....

Have a nice day - and please stay safe in these times of trials and tribulations !!

Figleaf

This is highly amusing. Usually, colonies are an embarrassment these days. The exceptions are the colonies lost and the best are colonies where the locals threw you out. I was surprised to find how popular the VOC is in Taiwan, until it dawned on me that they were thrown out by the Chinese.

So you celebrate Tranquebar and why not? Today, tourism there seems to float on Danish memories. And you in particular celebrate with research on the coins. Appropriate and from the glimpses you show, quite interesting.

Now, how to communicate that knowledge, because, yes, there is quite a significant interest here. That's easy to predict because 1) most of us are interested in any and all coins and 2) we have a large contingent of Indian collectors. In my experience, Danes communicate well in English, so the perfect solution would be that you 3) attend our live event on Monday 6th December to see how it works and have some fun and 4) do a presentation on your research in a future meeting - there is one every month. I'll make sure you are invited for the December live event.

Does that sound like a good way to proceed?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Guillaume Hermann

I am neither a Danish, neither an Indian, neither a British and never heard that name, "Tranquebar", but I am quite interested!
Conférences à l'école, collectivité, ou domicile, avec mes objets de collection manipulables par le public, sur des sujets d'Histoire et SVT.
https://le-musee-en-classe.jimdosite.com/
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61551887348487
https://www.linkedin.com/company/le-musée-en-classe/about/

Trankebar

Quote from: Figleaf on November 20, 2020, 08:24:19 PM
This is highly amusing. Usually, colonies are an embarrassment these days. The exceptions are the colonies lost and the best are colonies where the locals threw you out. I was surprised to find how popular the VOC is in Taiwan, until it dawned on me that they were thrown out by the Chinese.

The secret of having colonies is to treat the locals sort of decent , so they don't hate you ..
When you realize , that the colony is no longer profitable, then you leave , so you don't overstay your welcome and get thrown out  .. ohh , did I say leave ? I meant , then you sell the colony to another more ambitious colonial power ... such as .. ahemm .. England ... then the locals still like you  - and you even managed to get out of there with your pockets filled with british silver  ;)

Anyway , I have noticed some interest in the subject , so I will start doing my homework of translating into english ... it will be posted here later ... please give me a little time ...

Not sure about live events - but I informed Figleaf about that in a message ....

Quant.Geek

I am definitely interested as a collector of Tranquebar coins!!!
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins