Isle of Man: 2 pounds 'Dunkirk' 2020

Started by eurocoin, November 17, 2020, 11:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

The Isle of Man has today released 2 coins to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the 'Miracle of Dunkirk'.

The coins feature the Isle of Man Steam Company packet ship, the SS Mona's Isle, rescuing soldiers at Dunkirk. Mona's Isle was the first non-military ship to leave Dover for Dunkirk during the evacuation and the first to complete a round trip, rescuing a total of 2,634 troops. The coins were designed by Glyn Davies.

Col1n666

I like these coins, do you know if they will be available in a presentation pack? Thanks as always for the info on upcoming releases!

avle64e

Can anyone explain the situation with the 2 pound "Dunkirk" coins? I can't find a proclamation for the issue of these coins. And on the website "The Westminster Collection", these coins were sold for a very short period of time. If someone can provide a link to the proclamation, I would be very grateful.

eurocoin

I do not like to discuss approval procedures but anyway. These coins were not minted for general circulation. Sometimes the Isle of Man does publish a proclamation for coins that are not being released into general circulation but other times they don't. I do not know why there is this difference. I think they just don't care. They do always publish a proclamation for coins that do enter general circulation on the island though, so at least they are strict in that.