Jersey 2019: Jersey Zoo 2 pounds coins

Started by eurocoin, November 04, 2019, 04:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

To commemorate the 60th anniversary of Jersey Zoo, several commemorative 2 pounds coins have been issued.

The series consists of coloured 2 pounds coins that respectively feature a gorilla, orangutan, suricate, flamingo, bat and tortoise. The coin featuring the gorilla is also available in non-coloured edition. The pieces were designed by Rosemary Blackmore.

eurocoin

The coloured series that can only be bought as a set.

<k>

Is this the first time that Jersey has gone 'coloured' ?
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

Quote from: <k> on November 04, 2019, 05:44:27 PM
Is this the first time that Jersey has gone 'coloured' ?

No, the Red Arrows coin was the first commemorative coin of Jersey of which also a coloured edition was made. The coloured piece was made of silver. The Jersey Zoo commemorative coins are the first base-metal coloured commemoratives of Jersey.

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

MCz

Also 2£ Rememberance 2019 was coloured but similiar as Red Arrow, coloured is only a silver variant. Base version is no coloured.

MCz

Quote from: eurocoin on November 04, 2019, 04:30:31 PM
The coloured series that can only be bought as set.

Seems that Wesminster sells these coins as subscription with initial payment for the first coin and subsequent payments for next coins once a month... does it mean that we can expect also non coloured coins with other animals next months?
Usually, I skip the coloured version and buy only the base variant if exist. But if only coloured exist, I want to have it in my collection.

Jostein

Quote from: MCz on November 05, 2019, 07:52:25 AM
Seems that Wesminster sells these coins as subscription with initial payment for the first coin and subsequent payments for next coins once a month... does it mean that we can expect also non coloured coins with other animals next months?
Usually, I skip the coloured version and buy only the base variant if exist. But if only coloured exist, I want to have it in my collection.

The same for me!
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.bimetallic-coins.com

Big_M

Any info which mint produces these coins?

eurocoin

eurocoin

The coins featuring the orangutan, suricate, flamingo, bat and tortoise will not be released in uncoloured versions. Only the gorilla coin will be available uncoloured.

Please note that if you buy the coloured set, only the gorilla coin has the design minted on it and had subsequently colour applied to it. The coins featuring the other 5 animals just have a flat surface with colour applied to it.

People who are not residents of the UK can buy the Jersey Zoo  commemorative coin products directly from the issuer from this seperate webshop: Zoo ? The Westminster Collection International

Alan71

Is that the norm for coloured coins these days?  The design is merely the colour on a flat surface?  I know there was some talk once before about colour being scratched off to leave the design intact (not sure if that was speculation or fact).

I'm not keen on coloured coins anyway, but I'm even less impressed if there's no actual engraved design beneath it.  I might get the gorilla one (uncoloured) but can't say I'm interested in the others.  We're almost at the point where you can design your own coin.  Remove the colour then add a design of your choice (though I suppose the inscription relating to the original design can't be removed).

eurocoin

Quote from: Alan71 on November 15, 2019, 08:04:11 PM
Is that the norm for coloured coins these days?  The design is merely the colour on a flat surface?  I know there was some talk once before about colour being scratched off to leave the design intact (not sure if that was speculation or fact).

No, it is certainly not the norm.

So far only Pobjoy Mint occasionally issued commemorative coins that were only available in coloured edition. People who do not collect coloured coins, or who think the coins looks nicer without the colour simply take the colour off of it with nail polish remover (not scratching). Pobjoy Mint always does mint the design on it and subsequently the colours are being printed on them.

Several of the collectors who use to take the colour off also ordered this set. They were disappointed to find out the design was not minted on it and I heard that people returned their sets because of it. As it is the first time Tower Mint issues commemorative coins only in coloured edition, they could not foresee that the design had not actually been minted on them.

eurocoin

A mule error version of the uncoloured Gorilla coin has been discovered. Some of the coins were minted with an incorrect obverse die. This obverse die should only have been used for the production of the 2019-dated commemorative 2 pound coins of Jersey to commemorate Remembrance Day and the Red Arrows.