News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Kyrgyzstan: post-Soviet coinage

Started by <k>, October 16, 2020, 09:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

The object seen on the reverse of the som coins is a kookor.

From Wikipedia:

The kookor is used to store and carry the traditional drink of mare's milk, known as kumys or kumyz. The kookor is a leather bottle with a long neck rising from a wide base, and two horns spreading out to the sides. The kookor is a traditional motif of the Kyrgyz and is seen in many examples of art and craftwork.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

A reminder of the kookor, as seen on the reverse of the som coins.

<k>

On the coins, the tumar is seen the other way up. I do not which is the correct way, if any.

Within the kookor, we see another shape, known as the tumar.

The tumar is an amulet that is used to ward off evil. Here is one description I have found:

The TUMAR is a triangular-shaped amulet made of leather or felt, worn on the chest to protect the owner against evil.

However, other descriptions state that the tumar is a form of jewellery.

Both examples above are from the late 19th or early 20th century.

<k>

Since 2009, Kyrgyzstan has issued no new coins. I do not know why. Perhaps inflation is high and they now use only banknotes?

I must admit that I prefer the spelling of 'Kirgistan' for the country, which is used by the Germans. Two 'y's, and a 'z' before the 's,' make the English spelling somewhat tricky to remember.

<k>

Kyrgyzstan set 2008-9.jpg

Here we see an image of the coins side by side.

<k>

<k>

mkm1968

maybe someone will be interested - the first pennies (tiins) after secession from the USSR in 1993 were paper ...

<k>

This eagle is an important symbol, then, appearing on both the coins and early banknotes.

Figleaf

Indeed. It is part of the national emblem. The eagle is used on the modern coins of a number of Arabic countries. It is a popular hunting bird.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.