Ottoman Empire Mints please...

Started by mti, September 27, 2020, 01:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mti

Hello everyone...!!!

I would like to confirm/determine the Mints on these coins... the files are named 1, 2, 3, 4...
so if you can please post your answer according to these numbers... Thank you... also...

FYI:  1. - Ottoman Empire - Para - AH1187 - RY1 - Abdul Hamid I
        2. - Ottoman Empire - Para - AH1187 - RY3 - Abdul Hamid I
        3. - Ottoman Empire - Para - AH1203 - RY1 - Selim III
        4. - Ottoman Empire - Asper/Akce? - AH1171 - RY8 - Mustafa III

I am new to these, so would like to know the mints... I have difficulty reading them... :))
Thank you in advance... and have a pleasant day...!!!

Manzikert

I think they are:

1. Constantinople (badly engraved)
2. Misr (Egypt, the pellet above the left hand end is joined to the 'r' and looks like an extra letter)
3. Misr (Egypt, badly engraved, the central loop looks almost doubled)
4. Islambul (Istanbul, another name for Constantinople)

I am open to correction by those who actually read these, rather than just recognising shapes like me. :)

Alan

aws22

Dear mti, only the first coin mint is not clear, the other 3 are easy to read. I think the first coin mint is " Konya قونيه ".
Ottoman Empire,  Abdul Hamid I, Para, AH 1187/RY1, Konya mint (AH 1187-1203/1774-1789 AD)
Konya (قونيه) is a major city in south-central Turkey, on south-western edge of the Central Anatolian Plateau and is the seventh-most-populous city in Turkey with a metropolitan population of over 2.2 million. Konya is a large and industrially developed city and the capital of Konya Province.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Manzikert

Unfortunately Maythem, I think that by the reign of Abdul Hamid Konya was not an active mint, though I don't know for sure when it was actually closed. Certainly I can't find a Konya coin after Mehmed III on zeno.

Alan

aws22

Thank you Alan, I was trying to read the mint in Arabic and I thought it looked like " Konya قونيه ", I could be wrong.  Constantinople ( Kostantiniyye قسطنطينيه ) could be near.

Maythem

mti

Hello guys... thank you for your replies...  Here's what I found about the mints:

"Types of metals:
G = gold
S =silver
C = copper
N = nickel

Istanbul (Constantinople) established itself as the main mint of the Ottoman Empire. Long after all the other mints had  closed down, the Darphane mint was still churning out coins, right up until the very end. A refurbished Darphane continues to be the sole mint of the Turkish Republic

Konstantiniye G,S,C,N [followed by El Mahrusa (the guarded) on some gold coinage of 1223 only]
Islambol G,S [this name was used from 1115-1203]"

Note: obviously the dates are AH

Source:  http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=19100.0;wap2

Note 2: at the above source there is a full list of all the mints under the Ottoman Empire... FYI...  :)

***********************************************************************************
The following link is for the coin from Konya mint but it dates back to AH886...  and looks more ancient than the coin I provided picture of...

Link:  https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/alibaba_coins/244/product/ottoman_ar_akche_of_bayazid_ii_ah_886_konya_mint_11_mm__07_gr/1211549/Default.aspx

***********************************************************************************
Also found this Map with all the Ottoman Mints and their corresponding names in Arabic, although the writing do not exactly correspond to what might be shown
on a coin...
Link:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ie=UTF8&om=1&oe=UTF8&msa=0&err=1&mid=1B7YtiKWQlb77aLe7Yy0VQSSDEQM&ll=31.933501108052425%2C37.128296499999976&z=4

aws22

Thank you mti for the valuable information regarding the mints under the Ottoman Empire. The mint place written on your first coin is not very clear which lead to this confusion.

Maythem

mti

Two more possibilities... the image is a screenshot from Krause catalog 1701-1800... as you can see it lists only three active mints from that period...
so based on the Arabic writings, could it be one of those three... or two if dismissing the Kostantiniye/Constantinople...?!?!  I am curious... =))

Manzikert

Well, the only one of those that fits at all is Constantinople.

Alan