News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Portraits of QEII used on world coins

Started by Abhay, December 02, 2009, 10:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abhay

For some time, I have been trying to find out the various portraits of Queen Elizabeth II used on the Coin Obverse. Till date, I have been able to find 9 portraits (ignoring Minor variations). This is to be noted here that we are talking of only the Coin Obverse, where only the Portrait of Queen Head is there. We find many other portraits of QE II, but they are on Reverse, and mostly issued to Comemmorate events like Coronation Jubilee, Birth Anniversary, wedding anniversary etc of Queen Elizabeth II.

001- commonly Found on many countries
002- commonly Found on many countries
003- commonly found on many countries
004- commonly found on many countries
005- found only on Royal Visit 1985 Coins of Antigua & Barbuda, Dominica and Grenada
006- found only on Nightingale Island Crowns
007- Found only on some coins of New Zealand
008- commonly found on recent coins of many countries
009- Found only on Recent coins of Canada

I have inserted the Images of the Coin Obverse for ready reference. Since this topic allows maximum of 8 images per Post, I have divided this topic in 2 parts, first part showing 5 images, and the second part 4 images.

Abhay

INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

Abhay

Remaining Images.
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

UK Decimal +

Quote from: engipress on December 02, 2009, 10:26:47 AM
... We find many other portraits of QE II, but they are on Reverse, and mostly issued to Comemmorate events like Coronation Jubilee, Birth Anniversary, wedding anniversary etc of Queen Elizabeth II.

Hello Abhay.

I think it only fair to point out that at least some of the portraits that you refer to above, the UK 5/- dated 1953 and 25p dated 1977, showing the Queen on horseback are in fact on the obverse.   This can be confirmed by referring to the Royal Mint web page relating to these coins.   I hesitate from commenting on which is the obverse of non-UK coins.

Might I suggest that you add the year of the coins which you have illustrated against the list that you have provided as this will help to put them in context.

Thank you for some interesting illustrations.

Bill.
Ilford, Essex, near London, England.

People look for problems and complain.   Engineers find solutions but people still complain.

Abhay

Dear Mr.Bill,

I agree that that there could be many more portraits of QE II on many other coins, either on Obverse or Reverse. Here, I am just trying to find out the Portraits, which show the "BUST HEAD" only. So, the Queen on Horseback, even if it is Obverse, is not included in this topic.

Regards

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

BCNumismatics

Abhay,
  The obverse portrait number 006 that appears on the Nightingale Island 1 Crown medal-coins is used by The Commonwealth Mint for the Cook Islands $1 medal-coin depicting the Concorde,the Gough Island 2005 1 Crown medal-coin,the Tristan da Cunha coins,& the Stoltenhoff Island 2008 coins.

Have a look here; http://www.thecommonwealthmint.co.uk .

Aidan.

translateltd

No. 4 is not commonly found on coins of many countries, to my knowledge.  It looks like a variant of no. 5.  The common one that appears to be missing is the Raphael Maklouf effigy that was used in many parts of the Commonwealth in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and still is in use in a few places.

Abhay

Thanks a lot, Mr. Aidan, for increasing my knowledge.

If you notice, the basic difference between 004 and 005 is that in 004, the Necklace has only 1 string, and it is sideways, whereas in 005, there are 3 strings, and it is in front view.

I will try to post some other images of QE II, which are not the "BUST HEADS".

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

andyg

Quote from: engipress on December 05, 2009, 04:06:11 AM
Thanks a lot, Mr. Aidan, for increasing my knowledge.

If you notice, the basic difference between 004 and 005 is that in 004, the Necklace has only 1 string, and it is sideways, whereas in 005, there are 3 strings, and it is in front view.

I will try to post some other images of QE II, which are not the "BUST HEADS".

Abhay

Abhay, I tried to do something similar recently, see this thread (it's buried on the UK pre decimal board)
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,4364.0.html
but I stuck to circulation coins only....

Abhay

Quote from: ***** on December 05, 2009, 12:15:01 PM
Abhay, I tried to do something similar recently, see this thread (it's buried on the UK pre decimal board)
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,4364.0.html
but I stuck to circulation coins only....

Thanks a lot for increasing my knowledge. By the way, I am just a beginner, as far as foreign coins are concerned. Basically, I am a collector of Indian Coins.

It actually started from the Notes of QE II. I am collecting 1 Denomination notes, and I just noticed that there were many varieties of QE II portraits on world banknotes. Then I searched on Google and I could find this article

http://www.pjsymes.com.au/QE2

Till now, I have been able to collect 26 out of 27 Portraits notes of QE II. (Note of Canada showing Portrait 1 is very costly, about US Dollar 1500.00).

It is at this time that the idea of finding Portrait of QE II on world coins occured to me, and thus this topic was born.

Abhay
INVESTING IN YESTERDAY

BCNumismatics

008 is found on the NCLT coins of the British Antarctic Territory & the British Indian Ocean Territory as well as South Georgia & the South Sandwich Islands.

Aidan.

tonyclayton

Could someone remind me as to where Nightingale Island is, and why they have any genuine need for their own coins.

And PLEASE do not talk about 'medal-coins'. They are either coins (even if NCLT) or medallions.

IMHO :)

andyg

It's an uninhabited island in the Tristan da Cunha group.

I thought everyone knew that ;D

Figleaf

Quite right, Gérard! The "Vladimir Gottwald" head does not yet figure in the list, or even APG's list. Some look like it, but clothes, earring and hair are definitely different. I am saving the picture here for reference.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

Quote from: Figleaf on June 28, 2010, 11:09:31 PM
Quite right, Gérard! The "Vladimir Gottwald" head does not yet figure in the list, or even AJG's list. Some look like it, but clothes, earring and hair are definitely different. I am saving the picture here for reference.

Peter

I was advised of this one a little while ago by a fellow forum member from Australia, it was I'm told a unique portrait until fairly recently when it has been used on some commemorative NCLT coins.  I don't however have the facility to change my posts any more so it will have to wait until I have time, maybe a long while...
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....