9-10th c. AH Ottoman, Aleppo?

Started by mti, August 07, 2020, 07:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mti

Hello everyone, I need your assistance in ID-ing this coin.

Here's what I know about it:
Metal: Copper/Bronze
Weight: 5.9 g
Diameter: 14 mm - wide by 20 mm - long (almost oval shape)

Some words in Arabic are visible but I need help reading them... So,
Thank you in advance... Have a pleasant day...!!! :)

Figleaf

The stamped drop of copper technique was used both in Iran/Afghanistan and in the Ottoman empire, but the dense script looks more Ottoman. A sharper picture with more colour contrast may help.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mti

Thank you Peter,
I redid the pictures... these are the best I can do... The ornament on the second picture is like a Star-shaped-Dream-Catcher-looking-like...
I have similar coin from Ottoman but the ornament differs... on this one it's like a Star on my other coin it like round shaped Flower... here is the link to it:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,48876.0.html What do you think...!?!?

saro

It's what I see.
The only legible text is "zarb H... "  and seems to be an anonymous issue with only geometric designs.
From style and design, my guess is that could be a 9-10th c. AH ottoman copper ? Haleb in Syria ? (Alep) " ضرب حلب  " ???
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

Figleaf

Don't know about the yellow part but the white part was a revelation. I couldn't make any sense of it until I saw the overlay. Now, I can't even re-create the chaos I saw before. Excellent stuff, saro!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mti

What about the text (in red) to the right of yellow text...  is there any meaning to it... b/c it is visible...?!?!

saro

Quote from: mti on August 27, 2020, 08:44:48 PM
What about the text (in red) to the right of yellow text...  is there any meaning to it... b/c it is visible...?!?!
We reach reading limits...however, it seems to me that's a " ر " with " ه " over it and then could belong to the word " نصره " commonly used on ottoman coins in the formula  " عز نصره صرب (حلب) في سنه  " (+ date)
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

mti

Thank you saro... would the denomination of this coin be - a Manghir...?!?!