Gibraltar: 20p coins for the European Championship Football

Started by eurocoin, April 07, 2020, 08:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

The government of Gibraltar has authorized the production of 27 commemorative 20 pence coins for the European Championship Football. The coins will be made out of zinc and have a diameter of 40mm. The coins will be sold by German coin dealer MDM. Each of the coins will have a mintage of 10,000 pieces.

eurocoin

gordarpi

I discovered in the below "factbook" some other denominations are to be issued by GiB as well although less affordable for the general audience.

https://www.mdm-wholesale.com/app/download/11446364691/UEFA2020_Factbook_4MB.pdf

chrisild

Look, a windmill! Look, a tulip! Ha, must be the Netherlands! ;D

Such clichés aside - is the title used for QEII here something new? Don't think I have seen "Queen of Gibraltar" before, but I am not sure ...

Christian

eurocoin

The title "Queen of Gibraltar" on the coins of Gibraltar is not new but the format indeed differs from how other countries refer to her on their coins.

There are strong indications that the coins will be issued with the date 2020 on both sides even although the event won't happen this year.

chrisild

Thanks for that info! As for the date, well, the event is actually still called Euro 2020. ("UEFA EURO 2020 will take place between 11 June and 11 July 2021.", see here.) So that part will not change anyway – and I suppose that some mints will also leave the "issue date" unchanged while others will use 2021. We'll see what happens in this case. :)

Christian

<k>

Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

chrisild

Shows you ho much I know about the use of these titles on Gibraltar's coins. Thanks! The designs I still find somewhat odd. On one hand I like the idea to depict the field or "lawn" in several different ways. Then again, the objects used to identify the participating countries are, at least in several cases, based on stereotypes. I mean, a "Viking" horn helmet on the Sweden piece?? Thought it was Richard Wagner who first came up with that. ;D

Christian

eurocoin

The first people received the first coin today. The reverses look 'ok' but the obverse is of very bad quality. The portrait and lettering look similar to that on Chinese fakes. I really wonder which mint produced these coins. For anyone who may not know: these are collectors coins and were not minted for general circulation.

<k>

Quote from: eurocoin on April 07, 2020, 08:31:46 PM
The coins will be made out of zinc and have a diameter of 40mm.

Zinc is war time material. Are you sure these are made of zinc?

And the proper diameter of a 20 pence coin is 21.4 mm.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

Quote from: <k> on August 15, 2020, 08:39:49 PM
Zinc is war time material. Are you sure these are made of zinc?

And the proper diameter of a 20 pence coin is 21.4 mm.

Their website only mentions that they are made of a zinc alloy. The Factbook document referred to earlier in this topic mentions that it is a "Silver-plated zinc alloy". The exact metallic composition is unknown. The coins are 40 mm in diameter.

Gibraltar and the Isle of Man have started to issue collectors coins with a low denomination and with shapes that resemble those of circulating coins. It appears to be a new trend.

Alan71

These are effectively non-circulating commemoratives then?  Really bizarre idea, to use the shape of the circulating version but with a size and alloy that is completely different.  I've all but lost interest in non-UK pound-at-par coins anyway (aside from Jersey and Guernsey perhaps) but this is a ridiculous trend to start. It's bigger than a £5 coin, for goodness sake.

Deeman

The quality of these football coins is dire and the size is ridiculous. Didn't realise that Gibraltar had such an association with football!!!!

Anybody purchasing these coins should undergo voluntary psychiatric assessment.

eurocoin

The full collection is available for 389 pounds from the Koin Club or with instalments from MDM in Germany.