US Dimes

Started by gpimper, August 06, 2020, 10:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpimper

And on we go.  I'll have to apologize before hand...I just don't have a very extensive old Dime collection.  Modern I do have so any help with the older stuff would be much appreciated.

The US started minting Dimes in 1796 and went through a number of iterations...the first being the Draped Bust Dime ($1000s!).  I'm afraid the best I can show is the 1935 Mercury Dime.  .9 silver designed by Adolph A. Weinman.  Mercury ran from 1916 to 1945.  Philadelphia mint.

An aside note...if anybody is interested in my Chili Mac recipe...:-)  It's mine alone so somewhat preparatory!
The Chief...aka Greg

brandm24

I always liked the Mercs, Greg. A beautiful classic design by Weinman.

I'll try to fill in a little on the older dimes, but would like to explore these really nice coins a little more first.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Prosit

An interesting trio

1876-CC Seated Liberty

1902-O Barber (Liberty Head)

1935-P Mercury (Winged Liberty)

Dale

gpimper

Dale, I like that 76CC!  There were a number of different types minted.  .9 silver designed by Christian Gobrecht.  This one looks like a CC type one to me, 8.2 million minted.
The Chief...aka Greg

brandm24

That's a nice lineup of the different types, Dale. I like the seated and mercury designs, but not the Barbers so much. You do have a nice New Orleans example there though. Do you have a many of the different types?

Bruce
Always Faithful

Prosit

The 1876 is the oldest and the only example of this or any other old dime series I have.
I think this might be the only Barber coin of any denomination I have.
Mercury dimes...I have fewer than a dozen (not sure) various dates and grades although nothing high grade.
Roosevelt dimes...I have a complete circulated set up to 1964 and a complete MS set after 1964 to at least 2016-17. (in mint sets)

Might have a standing liberty quarter, might have a very poor old old half dollar or two and a couple old dollars
I have a lot of Washington Quarter in MS. I also have a couple old Large Cents. No 2c, no 3 cents.

I would say as for US types I have a poor start :-)

Other than Mint Sets and some Modern Commemorative halves and Dollars and an occasional single I haven't actually collected US coins since
around 2000 or 2001. Watching these cent, nickel and dime posts is making me think I would like to collect a few more.

Andrew, a good friend of mine in the UK has a much more spectacular and complete US type set than I do.  :)

Dale

Quote from: brandm24 on August 07, 2020, 04:52:40 PM
That's a nice lineup of the different types, Dale. I like the seated and mercury designs, but not the Barbers so much. You do have a nice New Orleans example there though. Do you have a many of the different types?

Bruce

Prosit

I should mention someone gave me an old 20th century type set.  The kind you hang on an office wall and all the coins have been buffed to a high sheen.
Even though I have them I don't consider them as part of my collection. So there are a couple types in there I didn't mention in the previous post.

Dale

gpimper

I like that New Orleans '02 as well but my favorite dime design has always been the Mercury.  They stopped after 1945 and went to the Roosevelt.  Here is an OK 1944.  Not rare but nice.  Philadelphia mint.
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

My book says it is a variety 4 resumed (weight standard of Variety 5). In that group the 1885-S is the key coin with a mintage of 43,690 and cost more than the 1879 P with a 14K mintage.
Don't know what type they call that now days and how a higher mintage cost more than a lower mintage in this situation eludes me.

In US coins and in descending order of how I perceive desirable mint marks it is CC, O, S, D  and last place goes to P, Philadelphia.

Growing up in Texas when I did and collecting from circulation in the early years; CC and O were never seen of course, P and D were common, finding an S was a treat but not out of reach. So I still have a soft spot for S coins too.
Dale

Quote from: gpimper on August 07, 2020, 02:43:49 PM
Dale, I like that 76CC!  There were a number of different types minted.  .9 silver designed by Christian Gobrecht.  This one looks like a CC type one to me, 8.2 million minted.

brandm24

Quote from: Prosit on August 07, 2020, 05:28:21 PM
The 1876 is the oldest and the only example of this or any other old dime series I have.
I think this might be the only Barber coin of any denomination I have.
Mercury dimes...I have fewer than a dozen (not sure) various dates and grades although nothing high grade.
Roosevelt dimes...I have a complete circulated set up to 1964 and a complete MS set after 1964 to at least 2016-17. (in mint sets)

Might have a standing liberty quarter, might have a very poor old old half dollar or two and a couple old dollars
I have a lot of Washington Quarter in MS. I also have a couple old Large Cents. No 2c, no 3 cents.

I would say as for US types I have a poor start :-)

Other than Mint Sets and some Modern Commemorative halves and Dollars and an occasional single I haven't actually collected US coins since
around 2000 or 2001. Watching these cent, nickel and dime posts is making me think I would like to collect a few more.

Andrew, a good friend of mine in the UK has a much more spectacular and complete US type set than I do.  :)

Dale
Unfortunately, I don't have much of my own to show on these threads either. I had a huge collection of US until about 10-15 years ago when i had to sell everything because of financial problems. I had mostly 19th century stuff and earlier (Colonials and some pre-1800 copper and silver US coins).By that time, I'd started to concentrate on tokens and counterstamped coins anyway because of the research opportunities. Well, it was just a lot more fun for me. :)

Anyway, I hope you guys don't mind me getting in the weeds a little bit with my posts on engravers and varieties and the occasional odd story here and there. The name of the actual buffalo used as the model for the image on the nickel. Seriously, Bruce?  ;D
Quote from: gpimper on August 07, 2020, 09:54:46 PM
I like that New Orleans '02 as well but my favorite dime design has always been the Mercury.  They stopped after 1945 and went to the Roosevelt.  Here is an OK 1944.  Not rare but nice.  Philadelphia mint.
Yeah, I'm with you on the Mercs, Greg. A beautiful classic design the looks nice in almost any grade.

Bruce
Always Faithful

gpimper

In 1946 the Roosevelt Dime was introduced.  2.5 g, .9 silver content.  Designed by John R. Sinnock.  From '46 to '64 they were silver but then went to copper-nickel clad copper in '65.  I'm not a huge fan of the design but they are fun to collect.  1946 Philadelphia.   
The Chief...aka Greg

Figleaf

I guess an overhaul of the fasces was due in 1945. The symbolism on the reverse is clear: laurel (victory), torch (light, guidance, leadership), oak (strength). Fascism was beaten, enemies and allies exhausted. The American century was at its zenith and it did provide leadership. Marshall aid was a political breakthrough. It changed minds and approaches and it was instrumental in stopping communism. The UN and Bretton Woods created a stable world order.

When you are at the pinnacle of the top of the upper part of the food chain, you don't need change. Things are perfect as they are. That's what the lack of style of this coin says: very conservative. The trouble with not accepting change is that the world keeps turning anyway. The complementary issues of the Vietnam war, the oil crisis and the dollar crisis were waiting ahead.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

gpimper

Bruce, it's all good!  Just having fun  ;D  I'll through out the odd recipe or crazy Navy story at times.  I ever tell you about the time I feel off a volcano?  That hurt.
The Chief...aka Greg

brandm24

Quote from: gpimper on August 08, 2020, 07:22:28 PM
Bruce, it's all good!  Just having fun  ;D  I'll through out the odd recipe or crazy Navy story at times.  I ever tell you about the time I feel off a volcano?  That hurt.
Well, at least you didn't fall INTO one....or did you? :o

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Quote from: Figleaf on August 08, 2020, 07:20:01 PM
I guess an overhaul of the fasces was due in 1945. The symbolism on the reverse is clear: laurel (victory), torch (light, guidance, leadership), oak (strength). Fascism was beaten, enemies and allies exhausted. The American century was at its zenith and it did provide leadership. Marshall aid was a political breakthrough. It changed minds and approaches and it was instrumental in stopping communism. The UN and Bretton Woods created a stable world order.

When you are at the pinnacle of the top of the upper part of the food chain, you don't need change. Things are perfect as they are. That's what the lack of style of this coin says: very conservative. The trouble with not accepting change is that the world keeps turning anyway. The complementary issues of the Vietnam war, the oil crisis and the dollar crisis were waiting ahead.

Peter
As much as I liked the portrait side I didn't care much for the reverse because of the fasces. Not sure why, but the image was troubling to me.

I think it's time to completely overhaull the dime. Changes can be made without congressional approval after 25 years and Roosevelt has been on it for 75 years. At minimum, it should have a new portrait of Roosevelt and changes to the reverse. It's a very conservative looking piece that hasn't changed a bit since 1946. Boring!

Bruce
Always Faithful