US Nickels

Started by gpimper, July 30, 2020, 10:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

Commemorative issue, 2005: 5 cents.

Bicentenary of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

The bison nickel was referenced on the commemorative nickel of 2005.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

brandm24

I always thought bison and buffalo were the same animal, but I see now that they're not. I've heard them referred to as bison but never thought twice about it.

Though large herds roam freely in some national parks, they're also raised commercially and are generally called bison. I was privileged to see wild herds roaming ranges in the Dakotas and in Wyoming when younger. Quite an impressive sight and one of my fondest memories of my travels here.

Bruce
Always Faithful

Prosit

Yes it is part of my collection. I don't have many of this series but wanted a nice looking Type I
Dale

Quote from: gpimper on August 01, 2020, 06:11:56 AM
Dale, that is a very nice early 13.  Part or your collection?

brandm24

Quote from: <k> on August 01, 2020, 12:59:20 PM

Commemorative issue, 2005: 5 cents.

Bicentenary of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

The bison nickel was referenced on the commemorative nickel of 2005.

Which reverse do you all like the most, or you dislike both?

The Lewis and Clark is nice but I have to go with the old original design.

Bruce

Always Faithful

<k>

I like both, but the modern one is more stylish. The bison on the original nickel fills up too much of the available space. It is a very big animal, of course.  :)
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

brandm24

Maybe they should have put the design on a bigger coin. More room for the big fella to spread out and graze. ;) The quarter sounds good to me.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

According to James Earle Fraser, the designer and engraver of the coin the Native American featured on the obverse is a composite of three Tribal Chiefs... Iron Tail of the Oglala Lakota, Two Moons of the Cheyenne, and John Big Tree of the Kiowa Tribe.

The bison was a real animal named Black Diamond who was living in the Central Park Menagerie in New York City. He had been rescued from the Barnum & Bailey Circus where he was born. No picture of Black Diamond...camera shy maybe.

Bruce
Always Faithful

gpimper

Finally found my Buffalos...no thanks to little sticky fingers  >:(  1938 was the last year they were minted then later that year they started with the Jefferson nickels...next posts.  I would like to share this 1935-D before leaving Buffalos, though :-)  Just over 12 million minted.
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

Before we move on I wanted to post this reverse image of the 1923-S Nickel.
It has some peculiar damage I've never been able to understand.
Dale

Prosit

1923-S damage detail

gpimper

Dale, 23-S is kind of hard to come by.  6,142,000 minted.  In MS condition they can go for over $5,000!  Nice nickel.
The Chief...aka Greg

Prosit

True, but in this grade, and with the damage (which I always hoped was mint error but have little hope) it is considered jewelry grade.
That means maybe worth between $0.75 and $3.00 USD.

I am ok with that grade :-)
It is conceivable that I might upgrade someday but I think the chances of that are small.
Too many other shiny things to get my attention.

Dale

Quote from: gpimper on August 02, 2020, 03:35:38 AM
Dale, 23-S is kind of hard to come by.  6,142,000 minted.  In MS condition they can go for over $5,000!  Nice nickel.

brandm24

The coin looks like it came out of the mint that way, Dale. The wear is consistent over the whole coin. I don't know a lot about the causes of errors, but do you think there might have been something on the die that interfered with a clean strike? It really is an interesting coin though.

Bruce
Always Faithful

brandm24

Your 35-D has a nice clear date and overall is a great looking coin, Greg. So many of the Buffalo's dates are worn off especially the older ones.

One thing that bothers me about the series is that so many have been used for jewelry and carved up by the Hobo Nickel guys. Probably a lot of nice coins have been lost that way. It's not a problem with most of the dateless ones, but many I've seen still show a date. Too bad. :(

Bruce
Always Faithful

gpimper

That could very well be a die defect.  37-D three legged variety was do to a damaged die as was the 36-D 3 1/2 legged variety...guess Denver was having some issues  ;D  Both go for big $ in decent condition.
The Chief...aka Greg