News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Bovril tokens

Started by bagerap, December 23, 2011, 01:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

malj1

'Cos I aint got one!  ;D

see also  Reply #14
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

redwine

Been looking at that.  That's why i was confused.  Still a nice piece though 8)
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

malj1

Quote from: malj1 on February 13, 2012, 01:14:12 AM
Another from the above book that I missed previously, presumably also a souvenir of the Diamond Jubilee.

Obverse BOVRIL ℞. 50 TIMES MORE NOURISHING THAN ORDINARY EXTRACT OF MEAT OR BEEF TEA; Brass, 28.5mm

I found one at last only to find its different! 50 times doesn't appear as on this one they've substituted Bovril is infinitely, so there is another out there somewhere.  :o
Malcolm

bagerap

This is pretty much why I gave up on Bovril tokens.
No matter what you find, there's always something else. Out there and tempting you to search until you drop.

Gondwana

Hello everyone
I'm new to this, so greeting to you all from the south coast of the UK.
I've been reading posts on this site for many years, and always meant to join.
Today, I couldn't wait any longer as I have this piece which I thought you'd like to see.
South African medalet 15.2mm

Figleaf

Wow! Great fun piece. Bobs in khaki  are of course British soldiers, Bobs being derived from their commander, general Roberts. For background, read page 285 of this book to see the connection with Bovril. That page convinced me that this medal is British.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

brandm24

Welcome to Woc, Bob. Now that you're finally here you have a lot of catching up to do. :welcome:

Kindest regards,

Bruce
Always Faithful

Gondwana

Thanks for the welcome Bruce. There's a lot to read and pass comment on!
And yes Figleaf, I guess I was wrong to call it a South African medalet if it was given as a moral booster to the British troops.
I've not seen another in the UK before, but maybe the majority are now in South Africa where they were taken.

malj1

Lovely a nice Boer war token and the first I have seen.
Malcolm

malj1

Pat.

edited images although they did display ok on a large screen.
Malj1
Malcolm

bagerap

Very annoyed to have missed this one, it ticks two boxes for me

Gondwana

This is a nice calendar Bagerap. A shame you didn't get it.
I want to upload a picture, but it fits my screen at 32%. By the time it's 100% it's huge! It's only 126k so will work as an upload, but can anyone suggest how I "compact it", so that it shows as normal size on here?

Gondwana

Ok, panic over. I think I've got it ...

Gondwana

Sorry it's not a token or medallion, but worthy of interest I think.
October 1893, or very thin paper, like tissue

FosseWay

It took me a while to work out what on earth that "banknote" was on about  ;D My main point of confusion was linguistic, in the first sentence:

QuoteBovril Limited Promise to pay on Demand the Sum of Five Thousand Pounds to anyone who proves that they ever, directly or indirectly bought Horses of any description, for any purpose whatever.

In modern English, "they" refers back to "anyone". In 1893 English, "they" must refer to Bovril, since "anyone" would require the pronoun "he".

Presumably there were rumours going round that Bovril was made of horses (probably ones from the knackers yard that could no longer haul London buses around).